Home Made Quick Change Gearbox

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Home Made Quick Change Gearbox

Oh stop your groaning when you see what it is. It WILL be in a box when I get the nice hinged wooden box lid finished and it is most definitely quicker than fumbling around with all those gears in situ on the lathe.

It's just a dummy steel stub shaft turned to match the OD of the change gear mount bracket hub and the ID of the leadscrew drive gear bushing mounted solidly to a nice piece of wood. I added a piece of sheet metal to protect the wood and 5 dowels to hold the extra gears. The dowel on the right is there for whenever I get around to buying a 127/120 gear pair for metric threads.

To use it, you slip the gear carrier down over the stub, place your gears on in the desired order, roll a piece of paper between the first pair of gears, tighten the shaft nut and repeat with the other.

When you have everything set up properly, you pick up the whole stack and carefully put it back in place, set the clearance between the 1st gear and the spindle with a piece of paper and tighten the pinch bolt.

It saves bunch of agony, for me anyway. Next, I plan to put together a bunch of the most common threading combinations, take a picture of each, label them with the gear tooth numbers/locations and put them into a 3-ring binder for quick reference. That's about the closest I'll ever come to a real QC gearbox.
    Milton

"Accuracy is the sum total of your compensating mistakes."

"The thing I hate about an argument is that it always interrupts a discussion." G. K. Chesterton

Well..... you clever devil!!
    If everything seems to be going well, you have obviously overlooked something........

Comment

Now thats thinking OUTSIDE the box lol....brilliant!
      Ernie (VE7ERN)

May the wind be always at your back

Comment

Thanks Bill and d/r, I knew if I kept posting things today, somebody would like one of 'em.

By the way Bill, thanks for the Supergrit tip, I bought some zirconia and AO discs for my disc sander from them last week They were a good deal, no hassles and arrived quickly. Those zirconia discs are awesome. They make quick work out of anything you throw at 'em! Now I want one of those skinny belt jobbies that the knife guys use. I saw a really cool one made from pipe fittings over at SFT today.
        Milton

"The thing I hate about an argument is that it always interrupts a discussion." G. K. Chesterton

Comment

Very nice little setup. If you ever wanted a full quick change, Consider looking into 'electronic leadscrews'
          Iv considered making a basic one for my lathe if just for easily adjustable feed rates (my lathe had QCGB for the feed, but to go from 'fine' to 'corse' feeds requires you swap two gears around on the side of the lathe, so without doing that I only have a 1:4 range of feeds (my corses is only 4 faster then finest), but id get 1:16 after swaping the gears around.
          Play Brutal Nature, Black Moons free to play highly realistic voxel sandbox game.

Comment

Very nice set-up!

I'd be happy just to know how the gears go in.

Comment

Glad you found the zirconia abrasive more effective. I've wasted my time trying to convince some knotheads on another forum that they cut better.

Comment

Nice for sure, makes you wonder why you didn't think of it sooner doesn't it?

Comment

That falls into the category of "awesome as hell"

Now all you need is a whole bunch of gear carrier units...

I need to make one.

Comment

You know .... that's a really good idea.

Put a flip cover on it with the full change gear table on it plus your quick setup pics, and you'd have a heck of a clever deal.

In fact, find some extra gears, and leave a couple or three of them set up for your most common needs, and you're REALLY going.

Keep eye on ball.
                    Hashim Khan

Comment

Very nicely done, man, it's stuff like this that makes this board so nice.

Comment

That is cleaver. My first lathe was an Atlas...No qc box. I hated that. always changing for feeds besides threading.

I went and made a qc box for it. Here is the pic.Then went and redid the rear cover.If someone didnt know it how it was suppose to look they would never know.Came out good.I tend to get carried away at times.It was fun to build.Sold it several years ago..

Jim

Comment

Wow nice work im impressed. I wish my lathe came with a nice hinged door.. as is, it uses 2 lame studs with knurled handles.. sometimes the studs come out with the handles, and its somewhat diffacult to get the cover back on... plus it has an interlock so you can't even run the lathe with it uncovered, and the interlock is behind a high speed gear so you would'nt dare manualy override it.
                          Play Brutal Nature, Black Moons free to play highly realistic voxel sandbox game.

Comment

Quick changes boxes can be a blessing in disguise depending on what you do.
                            Years ago I bought a brand new ML7 lathe and manages to but just the bare accessories to make it work like motor , 3 jaw and 4 jaw chucks [ no joke ]

I would have liked a QC box but it was well out of my range. So for years I wished after one and one day found a clapped out lathe but with a decent gearbox, bought it and transferred everything over.
                            Went to Myfords and bout the metric conversion kit which consisted of a new quadrant and extra gears.

Woo Hoo job done, before as I was small part jobbing I was having to swap gear trains very regularly, problem now was it instead if swapping 3 or 4 gears for a metric thread I now had to change everything and when in metric you had no fine feed.

I now spent more time swapping whole kits over than just 2 or 3 gears.

In my case it was the worst thing I ever did.

BTW is a south Bend Heavy Ten QC gearbox worth £60? , about $90 ?

http://www.homeworkshop.org.uk/latest.html post # 1395

Usual no connection to seller.

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

Comment

Originally posted by J Tiers
                              Put a flip cover on it with the full change gear table on it plus your quick setup pics, and you'd have a heck of a clever deal.

In fact, find some extra gears, and leave a couple or three of them set up for your most common needs, and you're REALLY going.
                              I was already there with your 1st suggestion and am almost done with a hinged lid with the gear change chart attached to the inside but you and T/M's suggestion about extra gear carriers is KILLER.

I think the Grizz 9x lathe has the same gears and their parts are reasonably priced as well. When I get some extra cash, I'm going to get an extra gear carrier setup and a few extra gears. That way I can keep it already setup with my most frequently used threading combination and have it ready for, ahem, Quick Change use without messing with the fine feed setup.
                              Milton

Comment

Working...
                              X