ot: hit and miss engines

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ot: hit and miss engines

any hit and miss engine wizards here? Found at a spectacular price ($.00) a Monarch (Royal Mgf) model U (2hp) but it has a few issues: No ignition, its share of rust, and a stuck piston along with one stuck valve. Aside from that, I havent found any cracks in the cylinder or what appears to be a water tank. Flywheel with crank came right out and all journals look nice.

Anyone here, or tell me where to go?

Thanks.
    gvasale

Im no expert, But any chance we could get some pics?
    Play Brutal Nature, Black Moons free to play highly realistic voxel sandbox game.

Comment

Sure, however it is all in pieces now. Tomorrow...too dark now. But importantly, I'm not "allowed" to do attachments. Waiting for the answer WHY?
      Last edited by gvasale; 11-21-2009, 07:10 PM.
      gvasale

Comment

that just makes the pictures MORE awsome!
        Play Brutal Nature, Black Moons free to play highly realistic voxel sandbox game.

Comment

Sounds like the start of a project. Ask on the Smokstak forum, I am sure someone there can give you some information on the engine.

http://www.smokstak.com/
          Jim H.

Comment

Originally posted by JCHannum
            Sounds like the start of a project. Ask on the Smokstak forum, I am sure someone there can give you some information on the engine.

http://www.smokstak.com/

Yup, I was also going to recommend the SmokStak forums. A lot of good help over there on anything old and greasy.

andy b.
            The danger is not that computers will come to think like men - but that men will come to think like computers. - some guy on another forum not dedicated to machining

Comment

Thanks for that link to Smokstak Jim, there is some good reading over there and some amusement too, how about that topic of crank handles eh?

We had a 2 1/2HP hit and miss we used for sheep shearing and I never heard of any incidents regarding the crank handle, of course we had been shown how to do it properly. I see advice over there too to hold the inlet valve in while cranking, the only incident I can recall was when someone was doing that and they managed to dislodge the little valve spring collet. The valve was sucked right into the cylinder and everything came to a shuddering halt! Bent valve stem and a big chips in the piston crown and the head.

The way we were shown was to hold the governor trip in the 'miss' position while cranking it up then releasing the trip while pulling the handle clear.

I think some of those guys over there should try starting a Lanz Bulldog tractor. I still have the scar from where the steering wheel hit me on the head as a skinny 14 year old!

Comment

And I thought we had old tractors!

I did have to hand crank our IH to snowplow, the battery would never get it started.
                Why buy a battery when you had a hand crank!
                After all it did start during the summer.
                Dad did show me the right way to hold the crank.
                No need to bust-up the unpayed hand.

I still use a nice Diesel to snowplow. My wife says "you can take the guy off the farm but not off the tractor.

Comment

Working...
                X