Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks

Originally posted by Carld
    Hey Tiff, after some manipulation of the size of the page of formulas I was able to get it on one page in Word and will store it and make some printed copies to use in the shop. I don't think I have ever seen a simpler set of formula to find the bolt circle dia. or sides of the circle.

Thank you very much.
    Thanks Carl.

I'm glad it helped.

Comment

If you have a mill with a dro, you can indicate center of each hole and record the xy positions. Then you can trig things out. Sort of a poor mans cmm.

Clutch

Comment

I have a DRO but there are times when you can't get the part off to lay it on the table and then you need the formulas. The formulas I have are not as easy to use as these.
        It's only ink and paper

Comment

What does cot mean on the page http://www.cnccookbook.com/MTLayout.htm for dovetails?
          Cotangent....

Fred

Edit: Ooops! Failed to read the responses past page one. Please ignore this post, I will! :-)
          Last edited by Pherdie; 11-22-2009, 11:12 PM.

Comment

For any even number of hole BC take two screws and measure across them with calipers or micrometer. Subtract the size of screw. For odd number of holes. Measure between two holes and trig it out using half the distance hole to hole for the radius. Off at work we have to do drawings out on the floor of machines that come in for service. Sometimes they will have one hole offset so it has to go together the right way. Then we have to trig it out to come up with the angle. Not surprisingly the offset is usually 5D
            Forty plus years and I still have ten toes, ten fingers and both eyes. I must be doing something right.

Comment

Out of the cot

Originally Posted by Black_Moons
              What does cot mean on the page http://www.cnccookbook.com/MTLayout.htm for dovetails?
              Perhaps to put it a different way.

In a right angle triangle the tangent ratio (TAN) of an angle (A) is the ratio of the side opposite (OPP) the angle concerned (A) to the side adjacent (ADJ) to the angle.

TAN A = OPP:ADJ = OPP/ADJ

TAN A/1 = OPP/ADJ

The cotangent ratio is TAN/1 inverted ie it is 1/TAN

For the equation to be valid, both sides of it must be inverted ie TAN A/1 inverted becomes 1/TAN A = COT A

So.

TAN A/1 = OPP/ADJ = 1/COT A

Invert all three expressions or values and we get:

1/TAN A = ADJ/OPP = COT A/1

Or put simply:

TAN A = 1/COT A

and

COT A = 1/TAN A

Comment

I have a set of center line gages that are very useful.

http://www.victornet.com/productimages/39.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by oldtiffie
                  as promised, I have completed the sketches for hole spacings, centre distances and lay/set-outs for equi-sized and equi-spaced holes - Sketch/sheet 1 - as well as the general case - Sketch/sheet 2 - where the holes may or may not be the same size or equally-spaced and may be on or off the centres or pitch circles.
                  I really enjoy your hand drawings, Tiffie. Sometimes it's just nice to see something not drawn by CAD.

Comment

oldtiffie

In the 2nd formula for finding the diameter for a triangle
                    D=Sx1.1547 = 2E

What is the = 2E

Thanks

Comment

EEasy

Originally posted by Ken_Shea
                      oldtiffie

In the 2nd formula for finding the diameter for a triangle
                      D= Sx1.1547 = 2E

What is the = 2E

Thanks
                      Thanks Ken.

I will explain that:

E is the diameter of the inscribed circle - the internal one that is tangent to all three sides of the triangle.

D is the diameter of the circumscribed circle - the external one one that "touches" all three "points" of the triangle.

S is the distance across the "points" of the triangle.

D is twice/double E or put another way: D = 2E or E = D/2 = 0.5D

In the equation:
                      D= S x 1.1547 = 2E

all three values are equal, hence the S x 1.1547 can be eliminated or disregarded when only considering the values D and 2E

I hope this helps

Comment

Thanks oldtiffie, that took care of the confusion.

Comment

Working...
                        X