Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My last job.

Hey guys...
    Today..I finished the last thing that will be built in my shop.
    A new and improved core splitter for a deep hole drilling outfit.
    I guess I'll have to take a couple pics of it.
    Things have really taken a turn for the worse as of late.
    Again...I needed help with my books. Again...I got screwed.
    Long story short...many of my bills wheren't paid...some for 4 months.
    I thought I had lots of money to move etc.
    I was broke.
    Had to start up again...got lucky and got a couple old customers back. Many have moved on tho. I was shut down.
    Ran into some other real hurdles...the equipment that was spoken for...I phoned them up to come and get it...not one of those SOB's came thru.
    One thing after another....running my head into brick walls.
    Cleaning the place up was an absolute nightmare. Hauled over 16,000 pounds of plastic out of here...that's just the start...
    Local economy is in the tank...can't sell a damn thing.
    I'm burnt out. I fell in a deep hole in my mind.
    Anyone here ever have a good dose of "reactive depression"?
    Amazing what it can do to you.
    Thank God...I have a new woman in my life. She is 500 miles away...but she is a nurse who is highly trained in this field. She's been watching///listening to me come unglued.
    She caught me two days ago...at my lowest hour.
    She's helping me climb out of the hole.
    I'm thinking I just need to auction everything off now.
    A few of you here want some stuff I have. I'll give you first crack at it.
    I have some guys here who have been amazing to me. I have some stuff to give you.
    I have no energy or will to start up another business right now. I think i need a year or so to see where I'm at.
    Always thought i was bulletproof.
    Very hard to ever admit weakness.
    Guess we never quit learning.
    BTW...I would love for someone here to end up with my Van Norman. 6600 pounds tho...you can't haul it in the back of your Civic.
    Russ
    Last edited by torker; 11-21-2009, 11:26 PM.
    I have tools I don't even know I own...

Beyond Blue

Russ.

I really am sorry to hear that.

Facing up to it is a long way on the road back.

What ever you do - look after that woman!! Everything depends on it. Its one helluva job being a "Carer" and it takes one helluva person to do that job properly!!! Despite your problems you seem to have hit the jack-pot with your new woman. There is nothing stronger or better than a good woman carer supporting her man!!! (and vice versa!!!).

Suffice to say that I've seen my share of it. I get weak at the knees thinking about it. Being a Veteran, I see and have seen a lot -too much of it.

We have a pretty good organisation here in OZ called "Beyond Blue" (says it all). Check it out:

http://www.beyondblue.org.au/index.aspx?

http://www.google.com.au/search?hl=e...=&aq=0&oq=beyo

Comment

Russ, what the F*** I thought things were starting to turn in Your favor. I am sad to hear otherwise. There is probably lots of stuff that You are trying to dispose of that I would be glad to deal on, but I'm to far for it to be practical and I don't have a Civic.

Steve

Comment

Takes a good man to have the guts to expose himself........no not that way.......in front of your friends, and thats what many of us are to you Russ. Sorry to hear it hasn't gone better, you just have to remember this is soon the start of the next phase of your life, a much better one, it's just hard trying to slam the old door shut..........
        Opportunity knocks once, temptation leans on the doorbell.....

Comment

time

Russ, sorry about your situation. Life can do that at times. Hang in there,
          and get your head sorted out, then come back stronger and wiser.

We will all be waiting for you.

bones

Comment

Torker-

Very sorry to hear you are in dire straits. I always read your posts and enjoyed them, I never new things were going so bad in BC. Things are bad in Buffalo also. I am moving south in a month or two in hope of better job opportunities. The pain of the economy is everywhere. I have a long road to get my plans in order too. If you want to talk about stuff or just bitch and make yourself feel better, you can always come here.

--Doozer
            DZER

Comment

Don't give up, torker! It may take a while for things to get better, but they will. Set priorities. Sounds like the new girlfriend should be a priority!

Comment

Oh. My. God.

That sounds bad. The Great Recession is not just for millionaires.

Don't for get how to do anything. You just might need it.

Comment

Sorry to hear that. sucks to hear about someone going doing the tubes. How did your books get so messed up?

If the local economy is bad, how about the international economy? there may still be jobs online. Just a thought.
                  Play Brutal Nature, Black Moons free to play highly realistic voxel sandbox game.

Comment

Russ,
                    Make a list of all the things you can do and all the things you know. Whenever you feel down look at the list. It shows you are a smart talented man. Temporary setbacks happen to everybody it only becomes a problem if you let it keep you down.

It will get better
                    Bob

Comment

Sorry to hear of your problems. There is an old adage that says that it is darkest just before Dawn. Keep your chin up and things will work out.

Wishing the best for you!
                      Byron Boucher
                      Burnet, TX

Comment

Bummer Russ.
                        I know how you feel in my own way at least. I have a long history of situational depression. Seems like every time something good happens, there's an excel file in the sky keeping track and right behind it there's something to suck the windfall right back out (broken car, broken finger, broken heart, broke, broke, broke). Never seem to be able to get ahead anymore. It wears a guy down and saps your energy too. I often feel like giving up and just going homeless, but at my age it's just habit to keep plugging away.

Eventually (lo and behold) things pick up enough to make a guy feel kind of normal again for a while. Seems like eventually the law of averages would kick in and allow the bad news to stay away long enough for a couple windfalls in a row to happen so the next money sucker can just be paid for and move on. I just keep thinking that will have to occur eventually.

It's a Buddhist idea that $hit happens no matter what and suffering all comes from within (paraphrasing). It's not easy, but shedding the feeling of suffering is possible no matter what hand life has dealt you. Best to try as hard as you can to shake that feeling off and enjoy the silver lining as much as possible. That would be true at any point in life.

Trying to do that myself with occasional success now and then. It's a constant struggle, but it seems to be worth it.

Best of luck.
                        TS

p.s. Over the past five years I keep considering selling off my machines to lighten the load since I don't use them as much as I used to anyway. So far I keep talking myself out of it, but I consider it oftener and oftener as time goes by. I know there will be times I would regret liquidating the shop, but I keep thinking that in sum I'd be better off so just looking for that balance. I'd still keep a small lathe and mill for hobbying, but eventually I know it will be a bit of relief to be rid of all those big elephants. Not sure why I've added this other than "misery loves company" - to let you know you're not alone I guess. We should have learned to play the guitar.
                        Last edited by tyrone shewlaces; 11-22-2009, 01:47 AM.

Comment

LOL! Tyrone...I know how to play a guitar...doesn't do me much good right now...but I know what you mean!
                          Thanks for the support you guys!
                          Na...this isn't the end of the world. I know that.
                          It's just the end of something I've dreamed about having for years.
                          I put my life savings into it and will lose most of it.
                          I worked my butt off and built a successful business from almost nothing...except one tig welder and my hobby machines.
                          I'll do it again...but now I know how hard it is to get a business off the ground. I'm just too wore out for that right now.
                          The day before I was to sign the papers to buy this...the X told me she wanted nothing to do with it...and didn't want me to buy it.
                          I thought she was just having a woman moment or some damn thing.
                          I should have listened.
                          This place...my business ....was the end of us.
                          The last two weeks of shutting it down was the biggest disappointment of my life.
                          Looking at my machines...knowing they would never make another chip for me...all that stuff...
                          I let it get to me.
                          The new place I'm going to...has 190,000 people...instead of 18,000. Many more suppliers...many many more customers.
                          I've learned a lot...I think I'll do ok again.
                          I'm taking a welder...my chain and jack...hell...I'll have it made!
                          Russ
                          I have tools I don't even know I own...

Comment

Seems like you just got the chain off you, and every link sounded ponderous [not what you want to hear i'm sure] its not a failure its an oppertunity, a big one, there are plenty of van normans in the world, bloody thousands of them.
                            but theres only one you, and only one upstairs, somtimes we get what we need, not what we want.
                            be kinder to yourself, its not a simple case of cause and effect you know.
                            regards to you
                            mark

Comment

Russ,

Others have said it as well as it can be said so I'll refrain from repeating.

I do know how ya feel though, my situation was a bit different, but still very much the same. Cost me every god damn thing I had. I'm still recovering from that, both financially and mentally. Here's the truth of it (at least for me).

After it was all said and done, I went to work for minimum wage in a factory just to crawl out of the hole financially. Since that time (just over a year ago) I've let go of what was (thats the hard part, but ya really gotta let it go) and worked daily to looking at what will be. Stuff is just stuff, as important as it is to you today it'll be alot less of an issue once you move on. I look at this today in the same way I view the concerns of the kid (teenager now). IEverythings a big deal to them right at that moment in time, but insignificant in the grand scheme. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying it's no big deal, just speaking of perspective.

My dreams and aspirations remain unchanged, there just working on a different time table. I've risen in the workplace, become comfortable and even happy at times with my surroundings. Despite never thinking I'd be in the positions I've been in, I'm actually glad I had the experience (that which doesn't kill us only makes us stronger). In time I'll get back what I lost in financial terms, and I'll recollect the machines (they'll be nicer this time around). But until then I'll enjoy the simplest of things with nary a thought about the past...

Hope things work out well for you man, keep your chin up!

Comment

Working...
                              X