OT Vista Computer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT Vista Computer

My Daughter was given a complete computer that has Vista on it. The problem is getting passed the pass word for signin. Know one can remember what it was.

Is there away to get around that and delete the account? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
    Paul

for what little I know, I've heard removing the battery may allow you to get past this problem. However, I would wait until this fix can be confirmed. You do have to put it back.
    gvasale

Comment

Are you sure there is a password.

Try leaving the password window blank and click on OK.
      Gary Davison
      Tarkio, Mo.

Comment

If the password is in the bios, pull the battery for a few minutes, then reinstall and start it up. All bios settings will revert to defaults so if you had any custom settings you'll lose them.

If it's a windows account try one of these:

http://home.eunet.no/pnordahl/ntpasswd/

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/23...ssword-removal

http://pcsupport.about.com/od/window...istapwdisk.htm

'dirty' way is to install a new hard drive boot to that one, and then search the old drive for all references to the account you need removed, and delete it.

Ken.

Comment

Also consider reinstalling from the distribution disks and reformatting. Windows boxes seem to need this on occasion.

Comment

removing the battery from the motherboard will reset the bios (the very basic program that runs the hardware in your computer) and has a decent probability of resetting the Vista password... seems unlikely but is has worked from what I have read..

Simple things to try:

Like some one said, just hit enter
            try password
            type admin as log on and then admin again or password

Now for more a more technical solutions..

Boot into safe mode as admin and try to fix from there..
            or take off the side panel, locate battery and remove for a few minutes...

Comment

Thanks I'll give them a try.

Paul

Comment

I just bought software to do this very thing. I should receive it Monday. If I can figure out how to do this, in a timely manner, I'll let you know.

THANX RICH

People say I'm getting crankier as I get older. That's not it. I just find I enjoy annoying people a lot more now. Especially younger people!!!
                People say I'm getting crankier as I get older. That's not it. I just find I enjoy annoying people a lot more now. Especially younger people!!!

Comment

After a few hours I put XP Pro on it only to find out that the drivers won't work. Bummer guess I'll get a Vista upgrade. If it wasn't for my Girl i'd through it out....

Thanks for all the help...

Paul

Comment

you really think you want VISTA? Maybe just search for your drivers using Driver Detective or similar. Microsoft never gives anything away, even old perhaps obsolete software. Even widows 7 will likely cost more than a C note.

Hope you don't have dial up, like me.
                    gvasale

Comment

Originally posted by 7018
                      After a few hours I put XP Pro on it only to find out that the drivers won't work.
                      ?? What are you trying to drive that XP can't find drivers for?

Comment

so the machine had vista. Is it a 32 bit or 64 bit machine? I got a vista machine too. with 64 bit cpu. there were driver issues with it. and no software I wanted written for 64 bit systems. But, I don't know what carries over from xp to vista. Some hardware may not. My hp printer, fortunatly got new drivers. Lucky thats the only periferal I didn't have a real problem with. My hdtv tuner card, out of luck.

Vista should run some software in 32 bit mode. It ain't much, but thats all I know.
                        gvasale

Comment

I haven't tried the drivers I downloaded then from there site. They check your O.S. It popped up that they weren't compatible with XP. But I'm going to try them anyway. As soon as I get around to it.

Thanks
                          Paul

Comment

Working...
                          X