Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help removing chuck from Craftsman King-Seeley drill press

Hi folks,

New here and a novice in general with machining - any help appreciated.

I recently bought the Craftsman drill press pictured (model # 103.23570). It's in good general working condition, but the chuck needs to come off for some TLC and to allow access to the bottom of the quill to re-attach the original depth gauge which was removed from the press at some point.

The chuck is a Jacobson 633C 0-1/2" and looks to have the additional threaded collar in addition to the mating arbor press fit. The instructions I have found suggest that the chuck is removed by turning the collar clockwise until the chuck pops off. When I first got it, the collar was at the top of it's travel, up against the smooth shoulder above it in the picture. It was a serious struggle to get it to budge from that original position, but a few days of liquid wrench, a vise and a pipe wrench eventually allowed me to get it unstuck.

I was able to turn it clockwise, traveling downward to the point you see it now in the picture. However, it will not travel further, or pop off the chuck as expected.

I was wondering if anybody here has any experience with this setup and how I might get the chuck removed?

Thanks.

Welcome , It is possible that there is a screw in the chuck holding it to the spindle . take a look inside the chuck with a good light.
    I have that same drill press at work and will look on monday for an easy chuck removal.

Steve

Comment

If it's like the newer Sears model there will be a taper invloved.You need a set of chuck wedges.

Bottom of page-

http://www.jacobschuck.com/images/pr.../accessory.pdf
      I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

Originally posted by doctor demo
        Welcome , It is possible that there is a screw in the chuck holding it to the spindle . take a look inside the chuck with a good light.
        I have that same drill press at work and will look on monday for an easy chuck removal.

Steve
        Thanks Steve. I checked and there is no screw inside.

Comment

Originally posted by wierdscience
          If it's like the newer Sears model there will be a taper invloved.You need a set of chuck wedges.

Bottom of page-

http://www.jacobschuck.com/images/pr.../accessory.pdf
          Hmmmm. My understanding was the wedges are used with the chucks that do not have the additional "thrust" collar, but maybe no?

Where would you think the wedges are inserted - in the space between the top of the collar and the smooth spindle shoulder above it?

Comment

You just need a spanner wrench. Put a 3/8" allen wrench in the end and tighten so you can keep the chuck from spinning. Loosen with the spanner wrench and it will push the chuck off. Don't need wedges.

Think I ended up picking up an old armstrong spanner off ebay just to get the chuck off. It had .043 runout!

Rich

Comment

The collar on the 633C is used to force the chuck off the taper, as well as hold it on. Continuing to rotate the collar should do it. I have a very similar Craftsman King-Seely drill press (103.23130) and the chuck was hard to get off the first time, it had been on the spindle since the 1950's and liked being there. A lot of these came with a Jacobs 6A-33 chuck, which used the wedge to remove. I suppose you could use the wedge with the 633C as well, but I haven't tried.

Joe

Comment

Originally posted by RichTes
                Think I ended up picking up an old armstrong spanner off ebay just to get the chuck off. It had .043 runout!

Rich
                I've never heard of a spanner wrench with runout
                Steve

Comment

Originally posted by skaye
                  Thanks Steve. I checked and there is no screw inside.
                  Well in that case, proceed as in post#6
                  Steve

Comment

Just another thought, you could now use wedges, between the bottom of the threaded retaining collar and the top of the chuck body. I would run the collar back up the shaft a bit to get more threads engaged, then obtain the correct size pair of wedges. Once the wedges have popped the tapers apart, you can thread the retaining collar back down and off the end of the spindle.

Comment

No wedges should be necessary. The collar should continue to turn and force the chuck off the taper.

Comment

Originally posted by reggie_obe
                        No wedges should be necessary. The collar should continue to turn and force the chuck off the taper.
                        That does seem to be the concensus, but, man - it really doesn't want to budge. I'll keep trying with the pipe wrench.

FWIW - the press didn't come with the spanner, but I doubt it would provide as much leverage as the pipe wrench.

Comment

Thank you fellas!

With your suggestions and knowledge of how it should work, I went ahead and was able to pop it off: put a big hex key into the chuck jaws, grabbed it with a large crescent wrench and put the pipe wrench on the thrust collar. Even with all that leverage I had to push the two wrenches very hard towards each other before it finally gave. But it's off now and I can move ahead!

Thanks again.

Comment

...Move ahead and fix the gnarls from the pipe wrench!

-D
                            DZER

Comment

Working...
                            X