Got very lucky today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Got very lucky today

Did something really dumb today. Was surfacing a flat piece of aluminum with a fly cutter and was finished with the pass, and was ready for another. I sprayed a little WD-40 and spread it with my FINGER (dumb ass!). You guessed right, I didn't shut the machine off and the cutter bumped my middle finger at the tip, it only put a small cut to the flesh and dented the tip of my fingernail. Like I said, got very lucky and learned something. That something, was use your tree that god gave ya!

IMO flycutters are the most dangerous milling tool going, its the wide swath coupled to a single cutter, at certain RPM's sometimes you don't even see the cutter ---- I listen to loud music when i mill sometimes but not with a flycutter,

If this aint enough they have more chance of throwing your work at you than any other tool also...

You got really lucky, don't be afraid to be a little rough on yourself for awhile, its a good way to let it sink in and it could save you a digit in the long haul.

EDIT; and thanks for posting as we can all use to be a little more on our toes.
    Last edited by A.K. Boomer; 11-22-2009, 09:06 PM.

Comment

I hear you. Cuts with cutting fluid can be nasty to heal as well. I did something similar a couple years back. I had a circle cutting jig installed, and the extended part with the cutting tool on it was rotated towards the back of the mill. I had the large area workpiece clamped down, but I still thought to put my hand pressure down on it to help keep it from vibrating. Turned on the motor and the cutter came around and gashed across the top of three fingers. My hand flew out of there so fast that I didn't get it twice, but once was more that I needed. It was slow to heal, and those fingers can't take the cold weather very well now.

I'd like to say I always rotate the spindle one full turn by hand before hitting power, but that's not always true. If there's anything at all complex about the workpiece, the fixturing, or the cutter, then it always pays to do that.

Knock on wood- I haven't been injured by a machine for some time now. One thing that's always foremost in my mind is the danger inherent in filing on the lathe with the spindle rotating.
      I seldom do anything within the scope of logical reason and calculated cost/benefit, etc- I'm following my passion-

Comment

It's amazing how after the fact, you think to yourself, what were you thinking?
        Also, I'm not beating on myself, just letting the rest of the group know, turn the machine off first, spread lubricant with a brush, not your finger, clear the workpiece and tool then turn on the machine!
        Oh yeah, another day of learning something, albeit a slightly painful one.

Keith
        Last edited by blwn31; 11-22-2009, 09:21 PM.

Comment

watch out for flourescent lighting too!
          mark

Comment

i made my share of bo bo's in the past and leaned alot made me respect things more and pay closer attention as well never take your eyes off what your doing thats for sure ,,

glade to hear you got all you parts still intact,

Comment

Put your cutting oil in a pump oil can. Just squirt it on the part. IF you must spread it around ..use a BRUSH!!! A mill has enough horsepower to remove your finger...or hand if it gets hungry. If you are going to apply cutting oil to an end mill... stay away from the infeed side of the mill.. I have seen metal acid brushes go through a mill...and they die a horrific death. But it is much better than a hand.

All my machinery has halogen lighting to stop the strobe effect. Machinery that LOOKS stopped...is dangerous. Be ware of using your optivisor while running machinery as your depth of vision is off. I frequently wack my head on the mill when examining something thru the visor. Makes me feel smart..

A very seasoned fellow that works with my brother ran his thumb thru a 10 horse table saw a few weeks back. This guy has probably ripped a few miles of wood..and had a freak incident. Oddly ....the saw never slowed down! He did...but the saw didn't.

Watch those fingers ladies... We only have 10..and chip brushes are WAY cheaper than hospital visits. Every time I rip the bristles out of a chip brush I imagine my finger in there.. EEEWWWWW! Yuck. Just the thought of losing a finger or hand to my lathe or mill makes me sick.

Cheers
              Mac.

Comment

10Hp saw? Works successfully with a baby one too. Eldest Son had a Surgeon put HIS thumb back together after a close encounter of the Bloody kind. Last joint to tip is a strange angle/rotation.

Regards Ian.
                You might not like what I say,but that doesn't mean I'm wrong.

Comment

My grandpa choped his hand nearly in half a few months back.. its healing but its still more or less a bear claw so to speak.

As far as poken at the cutting fluid.. I learned to just use more cutting fluid, getting tons of mill swaff all over your hands, stuck togethor with cutting fluid and then getting raked by the razor sharp (non moving) endmill as my hand passes by was never my idea of fun, especialy when you gotta wipe really hard to get all the tiny swaff outta the wound.

That said, I will admit to haphazordly adding more cutting fluid while the mill is running, and even heard the endmill hit the little cutting fluid tube..
                  Play Brutal Nature, Black Moons free to play highly realistic voxel sandbox game.

Comment

When guiding a hacksaw with your thumb, remember to move your thumb before you lean into it.

Comment

I don't know what it is about spinning things that make us want to get in the way of them. flycutters, lathe chucks, saw blades, grinders, wire brushes and airplane props. It is as if we think we can reach right through the spinning parts. It's almost hypnotic I guess.
                      It's only ink and paper

Comment

This thing will save fingers on a table saw: http://www.sawstop.com/howitworks/ho...FcZM5QodyHrkpg

I don't even have my table saw anymore, just my radial arm saw and a couple of mitre saws, but this won't work on them...

Comment

Here is a dumb thing I did once, I was not hurt but it was scarry big time.

I had a 4 inch boring head set up to use a 12" X 1" boring bar out the side like a fly cutter to face a part 10 inches wide. I turned the machine on but it was not in back gear and started ripping at 4,000 rpm and I shut it off pronto and ran away from the mill as it danced around.

I almost crapped my pants.

Comment

Originally posted by steve45
                            This thing will save fingers on a table saw: http://www.sawstop.com/howitworks/ho...FcZM5QodyHrkpg

I don't even have my table saw anymore, just my radial arm saw and a couple of mitre saws, but this won't work on them...
                            sawstop is cool but no way in hell would I want one, you go to saw some wet wood and it thinks its meat and cost $70 to get a new cartrage. Its just overkill.

Comment

Complacency + machine tools = trouble. I get reminded of that alot. This last week it was simply a newly sharpened 1/2 in drill bit in the tailstock on the lathe that did a great job of filleting my right arm open.

Today it was a deburring tool that slipped and slit my thumb to the bone, sadly I had reservations about using that deburring tool the way I did... (little voice in my head said "Wonder how deep that'll cut if it slips" about 15 seconds before it did and I got my answer.)

It's a good thing no one lets me play with sharp knives

Comment

Working...
                              X