Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• small.planes
    replied
    yeap, the russians used to ship shapers with a set of thread rolling plates. One goes on the fixed jaw of the vice, one on the ram.
    John Stevenson has a book with the info in it.

Dave

Leave a comment:

• Tinkerer
    replied
    Well I'll have a better idea after I get it here and the motor yanked out.. thanks. Humm rolling threads I do have a shaper. Make a set of die plates.. heat and roll... wonder if that can be done.

Leave a comment:

• EVguru
    replied
    Head bolts/studs generally have rolled threads for strength, so I'm not sure if any material would work for a machined copy. It all depends just how much load it's under. The head studs on my Lister CS were cut mild steel, whilst the Fiat X1/9 needed OEM stretch bolts.

Leave a comment:

• Tinkerer
    replied
    Mmmm that'll hit the spot.

Actually it a Polaris Indy Snowmobile 2 stroke water cooled. The guys brother yank it apart to do a ring job on it a couple of years ago and snapped a head bolt off while putting it back together... from what I've been told the bolts are no longer a stock item... at least that's what the shop told them. So long story short the guy is giving me the sled I need to pick it up and pull down the bad cylinder to get a better idea of what is what. But if I can't find a replacement or a suitable work around by moding another head bolt... what material do you think I would be best?

Leave a comment:

• EVguru
    replied
    Originally posted by Tinkerer
    Cool.. I don't drink Ale but a nice Iced Tea with a twist of lemon will do.
    Here you go.

Leave a comment:

• EVguru
    replied
    Cool.. I don't drink Ale but a nice Iced Tea with a twist of lemon will do. I have a project coming up and need to make some head bolts for a 400 twin. What should I use to make them from if I can not fine a suitable replacement?
    Which 400 twin?

Leave a comment:

• EVguru
    replied
    Originally posted by A.K. Boomer
    I really don't know but guessing on the stability of the rigidity I hope its for milling plastic
    The rigidity is quite adequate to get the job done. There's only about 1/8" to be bored out, so it doesn't take many light passes.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Head work on a Harley..Dave

Leave a comment:

• Ken_Shea
    replied
    Originally posted by RPease
    And I was "just" about to guess the very thing.......
    Yeah, that would have been my next guess too

Leave a comment:

• RPease
    replied
    Originally posted by EVguru
    Hmm, pretty close.

It's used to mount Morini V-twin heads so I can bore out stripped exhaust port threads and TIG weld in a threaded insert.
    And I was "just" about to guess the very thing.......

Leave a comment:

• Tinkerer
    replied
    Cool.. I don't drink Ale but a nice Iced Tea with a twist of lemon will do. I have a project coming up and need to make some head bolts for a 400 twin. What should I use to make them from if I can not fine a suitable replacement?

Leave a comment:

• EVguru
    replied
    Intake or exhaust jig... to either open up or drill mounting studs. Or mill the fins away for contouring from a shop built piece.
    Hmm, pretty close.

It's used to mount Morini V-twin heads so I can bore out stripped exhaust port threads and TIG weld in a threaded insert.

Leave a comment:

• A.K. Boomer
    replied
    I really don't know but guessing on the stability of the rigidity I hope its for milling plastic

Leave a comment:

• Tinkerer
    replied
    Intake or exhaust jig... to either open up or drill mounting studs. Or mill the fins away for contouring from a shop built piece.

Leave a comment:

• Ken_Shea
    replied
    A fixture for indicating a part.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X