Gripping/holding a MT2 taper for machining

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gripping/holding a MT2 taper for machining

So far I have not found anything specifically for holding an existing MT2 (or any other for that matter) taper for additional machining of the ends. What have others here used for this sort of thing?

I can see making a split sleeve with the same taper only used in reverse to create a straight shank so that is could be held in a collet or chuck jaws. I would have thought I could have found a 5C collet made for holding such a taper but no such luck.
    "Work hard. Tell everyone everything you know. Close a deal with a handshake. Have fun!"

-- Harold "Doc" Edgerton

Is there room to turn it between centers?

Comment

I have a #5 MT to #3 adapter, and drill sleeves that would do the job, for drilling and tapping.
      As mentioned, I would rather turn between centers, I'd hate to have the taper release while turning the OD.
      Lastly, I would cut the taper on soft jaws.

Comment

The first thing I do with a MT blank is to drill and tap it for a drawbar if it has not already been drilled.

Then I mount the taper in the lathe spindle using a MT reducer, snig up the drawbar and it is ready for turning.

Comment

Originally posted by RKW
          .................................................. ..................

I would have thought I could have found a 5C collet made for holding such a taper but no such luck.
          Have you tried Hardinge? I bought a solid 5C collet with a #2 Morse years ago. In fact, I believe we never used it. I'd sell it to you if I can find it (last time I remember seeing it it was still in the plastic package so should be easier to find).

Comment

I picked up a couple of MT2 sockets on ebay while back. They are ground cylidrical on the outside with a thread and lock collar for part of the length. I am pretty sure they are some sort of turret lathe tool adapter. For the working on the business end you just dial in the socket in the chuck, slap your arbor in and do what you have to do. I think the ones I got were Collis brand. I bought mine to modify MT drill chuck arbors to hold slitting saws and such for my EMCO mill. To work on the back end of the arbor, you would have to cut the back of the socket adapter off.
            Greg

Comment

I have checked their site. They have LOTS of collets but I did not see one like you described. When you say solid, you mean non-compressing? As in, they only grip using the internal morse taper?

Let me know if you find it, it just might be what I need.

Originally posted by DR
              Have you tried Hardinge? I bought a solid 5C collet with a #2 Morse years ago. In fact, I believe we never used it. I'd sell it to you if I can find it (last time I remember seeing it it was still in the plastic package so should be easier to find).
              "Work hard. Tell everyone everything you know. Close a deal with a handshake. Have fun!"

-- Harold "Doc" Edgerton

Comment

You should be able to put it in the head stock with an adapter and then center drill the end, use a live center in the end and then machine to your hearts content.

Why do you have to machine the taper end?
                It's only ink and paper

Comment

Are you trying to thread a morse taper arbor for drawbar threads?
                  I have done this to Jacobs chuck adapters before.
                  My lathe had a 3mt spindle. Mount a 3 to 2 reducer in the spindle, and install the lathe chuck. Take the taper adapter and fit the Jacobs end into the #2 end of the reducing sleeve, in the spindle. Now tighten the chuck jaws on the morse side of the chuck adapter. This holds the arbor in a "tight spot" between the spindle and the lathe chuck. Drill and tap as required.

--Doozer
                  DZER

Comment

I made one out of 1" aluminum bar.
                    I drilled it, rough bored it to size, & finished it up with a #2 MT reamer.
                    I was using it to make a saw arbor from a blank that I bought.
                    I cut the tang off the blank arbor & drilled & tapped it to use on the micro-mill.
                    I have since aquired a 5C to MT2 solid collet & a 5C to #7 B&S solid collet (the B&S collet is a Rivett)
                    The 5C/2MT collet came in VERY handy when I used it with the milling attachment to cut a new woodruf keyway into a leadscrew.

Comment

See page 479 in the Enco catalog online. This will hold the MT and give you a od that can be gripped in a lathe chuck. You haven't explained what machining operation(s) need to performed to both end of the taper adapter. Does it have to be a 5C holder?

Comment

Like Doozer had suggested, I'm adding a threaded hole for a draw bar/retaining screw for use with a small rotary table. I also thread the other/larger end for holding work pieces to the RT itself in addition to the t-slots. The use of a 5C collet with a MT2 would be to allow use of accessories with a MT2 to be used in a spin indexer.

Funny you should mention page 479, I just happened to be on that very page. I just couldn't tell if both ends of the sleeve are open or not. I would guess that they probably are.

Originally posted by reggie_obe
                        See page 479 in the Enco catalog online. This will hold the MT and give you a od that can be gripped in a lathe chuck. You haven't explained what machining operation(s) need to performed to both end of the taper adapter. Does it have to be a 5C holder?

-- Harold "Doc" Edgerton

Comment

Working...
                        X