saving a widow's gmail

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• saving a widow's gmail

My brother Glenn in Oslo sent this. It pertains to his friend Nina who recently lost her husband Pat.

I talked to Nina tonight and she has a potential problem with Gmail. She and Pat had a joint Gmail account/address and she can still access it because it is set to remember their password. But she doesn't remember the password, which of course is just a line of stars, because it was Pat who had it in his head and never wrote it down and it was mainly he who used it. They have thousands of e-mails there she doesn't want to lose if her computer breaks down or she accidentally logs out. And of course she can't access it from any other computers without the password.
    She tried to change her password but that involved writing in the old password. I said maybe she could copy and paste the old one, again just a bunch of asterisks, and see if that works, but who knows, if that doesn't there's a chance she gets logged out. What do you suggest?

Anybody have a solution?
    Allan Ostling

Phoenix, Arizona

If she's using Firefox, and it is storing the password, she can look it up in Tools->Options->Saved Passwords.

If it's IE, don't know offhand, but there is probably a way.

Edit: found this program: http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/interne..._password.html. It purports to let you view passwords saved in IE.

-Pete
    Last edited by Pete F; 11-24-2009, 06:42 PM.
    I just like to make stuff.

Comment

Egg on my face. I found the password recovery process from the gmail help menu.
      Allan Ostling

Phoenix, Arizona

Comment

Talking of passwords, I just had to use mine to be able to post replies. I have it set to remember me, but from time to time it 'forgets'- hmm.

Anyway, I would think that e-mailing g-mail and going through the 'forgotten password' link should result in them e-mailing back the information. She should do that before her e-mail stops working for any reason. Then write it all down-
        I seldom do anything within the scope of logical reason and calculated cost/benefit, etc- I'm following my passion-

Comment

Here is a virus free cost free utility to reveal those passwords.

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/asterie.html

This is a good site with a lot more useful utilities including some related to computer security.
          Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

All she needs is to open herself an account of her own & send those old emails to her new address.

Comment

Originally posted by johnnyd
              All she needs is to open herself an account of her own & send those old emails to her new address.
              I don't know the speed of Nina's connection. She lives in Gِteberg, Sweden, if that helps to make a guess. Suppose she has 17,000 emails (the number which I have in my own gmail account). How long would it take to send these to a new account?
              Allan Ostling

Phoenix, Arizona

Comment

Probably no time at all. Google has very fat pipes internally and if they are running on the same server farm the speed will be extremely high.

Comment

Originally posted by Evan
                  Probably no time at all. Google has very fat pipes internally and if they are running on the same server farm the speed will be extremely high.
                  This is encouraging, but I can foresee a problem if Nina manages her gmail the way I do. After reading my emails I send them to gmail Archive. Here, they are searchable (by any message key word, or senders name, whatever), but as far as I know the user cannot get the entire list in the Archive. So I don't see how they could be forwarded to a new account en masse if they have been archived.

Some leave all their gmail in the Inbox. If Nina has them there, then forwarding them would be possible. But I think this would have to be done one email at a time. Even if the sending rate was rapid, it would take a long time to complete the task.
                  Allan Ostling

Phoenix, Arizona

Comment

I don't know about that. If the e-mail is being held by g-mail, all it's going to do is assign them to the new user. If she was to download all of them to her computer, it might take awhile, but what is it mostly- text or pictures?

Maybe I'm missing something here-
                    I seldom do anything within the scope of logical reason and calculated cost/benefit, etc- I'm following my passion-

Comment

Originally posted by darryl
                      Maybe I'm missing something here-
                      Or perhaps I am. I found that I can bring up my entire list of Archive gmails with a search using a blank, instead of a keyword. But I have not found a way to Select them all. I can access each one and forward it, but cannot see a way to send the entire group. But I suspect there is a way.
                      Allan Ostling

Phoenix, Arizona

Comment

Try pressing CTRL+a

Comment

Originally posted by Evan
                          Try pressing CTRL+a
                          That did nothing, on my Mac. But even if I could select all the messages, I don't think that brings us closer to a solution to the problem of how to forward them all. The only actions available for selected messages are tasks like adding or removing stars, marking as read or unread, etc., nothing like a group sending.

They are asleep in Scandinavia now (I think), so perhaps the best approach is to wait and see if the password recovery process works okay after they wake up.
                          Allan Ostling

Phoenix, Arizona

Comment

Working...
                          X