Glacern Pictures/Comments/Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Glacern Pictures/Comments/Questions

Just got a new Glacern vice for my mill. A few days ago there was a thread about setting up a vice so I thought I would throw in my 2 cents and ask questions.
    First I really like the fit & finish on the vice. To align this vice and my others I use a round piece of brass that is cut to fit the round hole in the vice base. I find this makes tapping the vice into alignment easier as there is an "axle" for the vice to rotate about. I assume that is why manufacturers put it there?
    Question. On the rear fixed jaw there is a slot. I assume that is for a stop but can not figure out how to use it.
    thanks
    ed

the slot is for a type of workstop that has two wedges with a screw through them, the screw pulls the wedges togethor, expanding them into the slot locking it into place.
    is a poor picture of it
    Play Brutal Nature, Black Moons free to play highly realistic voxel sandbox game.

Comment

Ed,
      Here's a link to the stop that fits in the groove,
      http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INSRIT?P...PMAKA=712-0149
      Mark Hockett

Comment

I believe the cylindrical hole is for mounting the vice on a "swivel base". (the swivel base has the corresponding "male" stud to drop it onto. At least that's the way my Kurt works.
        The rectangular slots either side of the round hole with the threaded hole are for "keys" to screw in there which protrude down and into your T-slots to help with aligning. You can buy nicely ground ones or some make their own.
        The brass stud looks nice though too.

Comment

Mark thanks for the link, cuslog I can’t believe I forgot why the hole was there. I have a small pile of swivel bases that I took off my vices and after all that talk about the keys and other types of locating devices I took them off as soon as I turned the vice over after removing the shipping jello.
          Thanks
          ed

Comment

Looking at the picture it seems that the hole and key slot needed to be machined about an 1/8 of an inch further down. Only a small thing but I would have thought the machining would have been better,with all talk of quality vices from them (Glacern).
            Dave

Comment

davo: its only an alignment slot, its not designed to take force and keep your vise from moving while milling (Cough, Cough, those who think otherwise, we know who you are. Cough) Also the screw should hold it in place, and again.. its not designed to take force.
              Play Brutal Nature, Black Moons free to play highly realistic voxel sandbox game.

Comment

Gr8life:

The vise really looks great

Since you are the first person to show off your New Glacern vice how about a test report?

Can you take a nice flat piece of plate and clamp it on parrallels at different hieghts in relation to the jaws and check for rise? With and Without using nylon mallet to tamp it down.

Comment

Oh, did you get those two little 'o-rings' that you put under the movable jaw?
                  Maybe you could test the movable jaw with and without those.

Comment

Originally posted by Davo J
                    Looking at the picture it seems that the hole and key slot needed to be machined about an 1/8 of an inch further down. Only a small thing but I would have thought the machining would have been better,with all talk of quality vices from them (Glacern).
                    Dave
                    That is just typical of machining a casting. The dimensions for location of the hub is not critical. The hole location is likely where it should be.

Comment

Ohhh down, I thought he meant deeper. Yea that does look a little weird now that you mention it.

Comment

I would not be surprised the least bit if I flipped over my Kurt and it was the same. It is unimportant.

Comment

Working...
                        X