Millrite mill

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Millrite mill

Anyone know much about this mill? I have a friend who has one for sale. He has a small machine shop and doesn't need this mill. It comes with a static phase convertor. When I last asked him about the price it was around 700.00 maybe less, a year or so ago. He really hasen't advertised the mill. It just sits in his shop not used. Thanks stan

I have one and like it. You have to decide if a mill 3/4 the size of a Bridgeport will meet your needs. That means smaller capacity and smaller travel.

Assuming that the machine is in good working order, it will do a fine job.

Alex

Comment

For a smaller mill they are nice machines, about 3/4th the size of a Bridgeport but some later models went up to 12x24 on the table travel. The only real downside is that there is no backgear on the head (really helps when using a boring head) and no power down feed. Also, check to see what taper the spindle is, there were a lot of early ones that are not R-8. The weight is about 1400 pounds and the scale is nice, so you can do a whole lot worse.

Comment

They are a good machine, very basic no frills. They weigh about 1100# to 1200# making them easy to move. The only drawbacks are most don't have any power downfeed (its a rare option) a lot of them had #9 B & S tapers. If you're lucky, it will have an R-8. All in all they are a good solid machine and a good choice if it's not worn out.

Comment

I had a late-model Millrite for 2 years, and I loved it. The only downside is that they have a someone plain head, with no downfeed stop, no powerfeed, and you could either get a drill-press style rack and pinion rapid downfeed, or a fine feed, but not both. And the way the quill was designed, it's very tough to add whichever one you didn't get.

Most people, including myself, find the drill-press style rapid downfeed to be more desirable, since you mostly use the knee for Z movements -- it's much more rigid.
          "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did."

Comment

The three millrites that I've seen at auction around here in the past couple of years have gone for $1200 to $1500. These were in pretty good shape, ex school shop but not torn up.

Comment

Excellent mill for a home shop. Perfect size, sturdy, hogs metal like a champ. I'd grab it for $700. I paid $1000 for mine.

Comment

I like mine, its a 1980 w/R8 spindle. I run mine on a vfd. Like everyone said, just your basic american made knee mill.

Not sure if yours is a grey Burke, or a starsky and hutch green with white stripe Powermatic

U can kinda see it in the back. Great garage sized machine.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/csprecision

Comment

Nice looking SM Lathe. I am re finishing the same model and am also interested in the Millrite.

Comment

Millrites are nice mills, provided they have not been abused. Try to find one owned by a garage shop type and not a machine shop. Parts are still available from http://www.dcmorrison.com/ from what I have read. They were available with several table sizes, X axis power feed, and collet types. $700 sounds pretty good if it is not worn out.

Comment

Bought a 1976 Starsky and Hutch green one like new back in June, excellant shape for $1000. Real good machine for a home shop. Mine has R8 collets. Wish the table had power feed (suffer from laziness) but will adapt one too it in the future.

Comment

Just bought one

Stepped up from an Enco Mill-drill.
                        Love it!

Comment

Great picture! I miss my Millrite
                          "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did."

Comment

Originally posted by Rex
                            Stepped up from an Enco Mill-drill.
                            Love it!
                            Is that the one that was on Coolair Drive, near White Rock Lake? The one I would have had if I hadn't slept late that day?

If so, try to get in touch with the seller...he has found some literature pertaining to it.

Comment

yep

Yes John, that's the one. I got there at 8:00, and there was already lots of guys there. I had to make a deal quickly.

The owner did contact me about the manuals, and I went back and picked them up. We found a nice small Dividing head and a new Criterion 2" boring bar on that trip, which I also bought.

They are supposed to have an estate sale soon, might be other things turn up.
                              I'll probably be there.

Sorry you missed that one (no, not really) but I did find a Rockwell mill yesterday in Dallas.

Comment

Working...
                              X