This guys got a slick circle cutting jig

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This guys got a slick circle cutting jig

Found this while googling homemade. Thought you all might like it. I recognize the magnet as coming from a 10 or 12" woofer. I have one and may put it to this use.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Thank you to our families of soldiers, many of whom have given so much more then the rest of us for the Freedom we enjoy.

It is true, there is nothing free about freedom, don't be so quick to give it away.

the website uses some anti leeching system and the pic just shows up as broken..
    http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/a...ircle-jig1.jpg

copying the url and pasteing it into the address bar works..
    Play Brutal Nature, Black Moons free to play highly realistic voxel sandbox game.

Comment

Here's a link to the forum thread:

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/b...le-jig-my.html

Comment

Dogger,
        I like the design, especially the way the torch runs freely in the bearing.
        It is on my to do list.

Brian
        OPEN EYES, OPEN EARS, OPEN MIND

THINK HARDER

BETTER TO HAVE TOOLS YOU DON'T NEED THAN TO NEED TOOLS YOU DON'T HAVE

MY NAME IS BRIAN AND I AM A TOOLOHOLIC

Comment

that'll be on my to do list...

...as soon as i pick up a torch...

dammit
          -paul

Comment

suppose you could substitute one of those dent suckers for non magnetics?
            a good idea, sort of thing you wish youd thought of!
            mark

Comment

A slight mod of that center bolt on the magnet would allow you to lift that magnet off a lot more easily. Drill and tap for a larger bolt to hold the assembly to the magnet. Then drill and tap the bolt for a smaller one that you put a wing nut or whatever onto. Just screw it in to press the magnet up off the surface, making it easier to shift it around for placement or to pick it off.
              I seldom do anything within the scope of logical reason and calculated cost/benefit, etc- I'm following my passion-

Comment

Originally posted by darryl
                A slight mod of that center bolt on the magnet would allow you to lift that magnet off a lot more easily. Drill and tap for a larger bolt to hold the assembly to the magnet. Then drill and tap the bolt for a smaller one that you put a wing nut or whatever onto. Just screw it in to press the magnet up off the surface, making it easier to shift it around for placement or to pick it off.
                Great idea darryl. I worked on one today and wondered how'd hard it would be to pull off the work. My magnet is from a speaker and about 5" in diameter. It had a protrusion in the middle about 2" in diameter and I trimmed it back in length to being about .01 from the surface of the magnet. Then I'll drill a 1/4" hole thru the center. I figured the .01 space would allow me to get a screwdriver under the magnet to remove it withoug bending up the jig proper.

I pried the keeper plate off the magnet with a cold chisel. Once off you can see where the manufacturer had used a white glue to bond the keeper to the magnet. Heat might have made this an easier go.
                - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
                Thank you to our families of soldiers, many of whom have given so much more then the rest of us for the Freedom we enjoy.

It is true, there is nothing free about freedom, don't be so quick to give it away.

Comment

I've been using a non mag version of one of those for years and it's something I don't care to do without.

Comment

A hard drive neo magnet could also work really well, they have wonderful griping force (40+ lbs! SERIOUSLY!)
                    Or even a magnetic base might do.
                    Play Brutal Nature, Black Moons free to play highly realistic voxel sandbox game.

Comment

Even though neo magnets are plated, that can wear or chip off, especially with lots of mechanical handling. It would be good to have a thin stainless sheet as part of the assembly to keep the magnet itself from being exposed.
                      I seldom do anything within the scope of logical reason and calculated cost/benefit, etc- I'm following my passion-

Comment

Working...
                      X