Since you all poo poo'd my building a lathe, I bought one

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Since you all poo poo'd my building a lathe, I bought one

South Bend Serial number is 9026NCR8 (I know what the NCR mean, but not the 8 or when it was made)

Model is C9-10JR
    Catalog number is left blank, not sure why.
    Bed length is 4-1/2

She is very clean and not abused.. I dont see any need to touch her up other than clean....

Came with a bunch of extra stuff......$550..... pics galore for you...

Last edited by cuemaker; 11-27-2009, 10:31 PM.

Comment

You will love it.
      More is always better!
      4 1/2' bed is nice size.
      Nice booty chest as well.
      --Doozer
      Last edited by Doozer; 11-27-2009, 09:14 PM.
      DZER

Comment

Comment

I think you could make a lathe in your sleep but if you found one that will get it done then bless you, I know your job is specialized.

From what I see you have a solid unit to tool up and build on.

Comment

Comment

NICE!!! And good price. I think you will be MUCH better off!

andy b.
              The danger is not that computers will come to think like men - but that men will come to think like computers. - some guy on another forum not dedicated to machining

Comment

That's about the cleanest old lathe I've seen. Grats!

Comment

Cue,

You made out very well, Congrats!

Comment

the length is there, but the spindle bore kills me... .75.... And thanks all

Comment

Amazingly enough I bought a 9" SB a couple of years ago with the same length bed (but with QC gear box) and the exact same tool box came with it! I paid way more than you did. You did good!

Comment

Yes, you did really good, that gear train is sure clean.

Worth $550 of fun just to go through the tool box for a look see

Good score for sure.

Comment

Wow! Look at those crude micrometers in the drawer with the files

Nice find.

On the length issue- since that lathe is a decent length, you could gain whatever you needed in the way of spindle bore if you made up an extension spindle. It would have one bearing or bearing set mounted in what might look to be a steady rest, and you make the shaft with a larger bore and mount for whatever chuck you could use. The shaft is supported at one end by the new 'headstock' bearing, and at the other by the existing lathe spindle in whatever way works.

What length capacity you gain in the accessory spindle bore, you lose in bed length capacity of course. You'd probably want the new 'headstock' to be significantly more rugged than a steady rest, but it's a doable project, and would bolt into place reasonably and repeatably aligned. You would make and fit the piece to the lathe bed, then bring it up close to the headstock where a rotating cutter would then define the bore for the bearings.

Just an idea.
                          I seldom do anything within the scope of logical reason and calculated cost/benefit, etc- I'm following my passion-

Comment

You did good - REAL Good

I got that same old Kennedy Tool Box just a couple of weeks ago but I think yours looks to be in a little better shape.

Your going to have many many pleasurable days making swarf with that lathe. Nice that you got all those accessoroes for the lathe too

Comment

That looks like a nice lathe that has not been abused. Keep it clean and well lubricated. That also looks like a "real" machinist's chest. You might be surprised at how many useful bits and pieces you will find in there, and how many you will never be able to figure out the purpose of!
                              Don Young

Comment

Working...
                              X