Balls & Holes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Balls & Holes

Boy! I bet you thought this was going to contain salacious material. Hardly not.

I have purchased several 302 Stainless Steel balls that are .750" dia. I want to drill a hole in each ball. I *think* that a flat should be cut on top of the ball before attempting to drill the hole.

My question is, what is the best way to secure the ball when milling and drilling? I have V blocks. Should I attempt to hold one side of the ball in a V block while the other side is pressed against the jaw of my milling vise?

Will I encounter problems with the ball rolling (turing) when milling a flat or when drilling the hole?

Harold
    For those having fought for it, Freedom has a flavor the protected will never know.
    Freedom is only one generation away from extinction.

Given the tooling constraints you mention, I think I'd go with the v-block as you suggest, but to avoid marring the ball, I'd use 1/16" lead sheet at all the contact points. Then I'd be able to really lean on the vise handle and pin that thing in place for the milling, drilling operations. I've had good luck holding balls in 5C collets for drilling on the lathe, if that's an option. There, a center drill makes a nice start, right in the middle.
    Cheers,

Frank Ford
    HomeShopTech

Comment

Absolutely a collet with a stop in the lathe. Drilling then is trivial and requires no flat to start the drill, just either a spotting drill (center will work) and a regular drill or a good split point drill.

Comment

Balls!! !

Harold.

Get two - preferably brass but steel will do - hexagons (nuts will do) - that are at least 3/4" (0.750") across the flats.

Put them in your lathe 3-jaw chuck and on one face/end just bore out a 60 degree angle - as would be left by a centre drill - so that the balls will bear on the tapers.

Use the nuts as "caps" on the balls. Put the "2 nuts and one ball" together and clamp on the outer faces of the nuts in your vise. It will be very firm and will not mark the balls.

You are then set to go.

Comment

Originally posted by rkepler
          Absolutely a collet with a stop in the lathe. Drilling then is trivial and requires no flat to start the drill, just either a spotting drill (center will work) and a regular drill or a good split point drill.
          Why didn't I think of that ?

Comment

oldtiffie sounds like a professional ball handler to me.

--Doozer
            DZER

Comment

Originally posted by Doozer
              oldtiffie sounds like a professional ball handler to me.

--Doozer
              Now I know HOW to hold my balls.

Thanks guys for your suggestion. Since I have several balls, I can give "brass nuts" a try as well as lead-lining my balls. Don't have a collet. Well, actually I do but I don't think she will allow me to use it.

Harold
              For those having fought for it, Freedom has a flavor the protected will never know.
              Freedom is only one generation away from extinction.

Comment

mail

Doozer.

That is a doozer of a question!!

You are 100% correct.

Have you been reading my mail or talking to my Mum (she was desperate to get me out off the habit) - but as you'd expect, I stuck to it. (It has a lot to do with my glassy-eyed look and poor vision and lottsa "other things") .

Many cannot understand how I have a deep voice given that my nuts have never had a chance to drop - they were - and are - never out of my hand.

This is serious stuff - would I joke about it?

I'm an ex Sailor (Navy) and EVERYBODY "knows" what sailors are!!

Comment

Working...
                X