OT: Blackberry Curve 8530

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT: Blackberry Curve 8530

My cellphone is up for renew. I have been wanting to get something that does my email too. I have one of the newest Blackberry Curve phones on the way.

My question is: They do internet connection and surfing too..but do they allow you to see forums like this one correctly? Can you do everything I can do with my laptop?

I had an old Blackberry from my last job and it was thru Nextel.. I hope this one is better, faster, more impressive.

Anyone use something similar..or better yet..on Verizon? How has it been?

Cheers
    Mac.

I havent tried this site specifically, but you will most likely be disappointed with the surfing on the curve. it seems to squish pages, and move links all over the place. I only use it when i need something then and i have no other way of getting the info.

Comment

Originally posted by Dragons_fire
      I havent tried this site specifically, but you will most likely be disappointed with the surfing on the curve. it seems to squish pages, and move links all over the place. I only use it when i need something then and i have no other way of getting the info.
      Who is your carrier? Rogers? How is it on speed?

Comment

I have a BB 8830 World Edition and it's useless for reading these sites. I'm a Verizon customer for now, but won't be as soon as possible. I've hated that phone and the service from Day One.

My wife's son works for Verizon and on T-day he showed up with his new Droid phone and that does an excellent rendering job on non-cell phone friendly sites though it requires a lot of zooming and scrolling. It uses Google's Chrome which means I won't be getting one as I don't like Google. But it was a hell of a phone.

My BB will allow tethering but Verizon charged me $30/month for the feature. On top of that I have to pay $10/month to activate the built-in GPS, and it only works on Verizon applications, not Google Maps, for example. It doesn't work at all if there is no cell tower nearby. Why do you need a GPS if you have a cell tower near by? I wanted it for hiking/biking off the beaten track.

Comment

Wow...sounds like the internet ability on the BB is a joke. Good thing the only real reason I went with one was for email ability. I simply need it to gather email when I am away from my computer ...and then sync to the computer when I return. I guess it will do that just fine...but I guess I won't be surfing for girly pictures any time soon :-)

Comment

I have a BB Bold and it works OK for Internet, I can read this forum fine. My wife has an iphone and I can get around on the Internet just as fast a she can, often faster and easier.
            Mark Hockett

Comment

certain sites know that youre on a phone, and have mobile versions that work good on the blackberry. Stuff like photobucket i use on my phone all the time to show friends what i have been donig in the shop.
              The speed on it isnt too bad, I dont want to mention what carrier i have since i work for them, but it shouldnt be too hard to figure out. Its also a Canadian company, so you wouldnt have it through them anyways.

Comment

Yes it does work. I am posting this reply on my 8900. I am sitting at home and its most likely using wifi.
                Screens a little small but zoom helps.
                Dave

Comment

The WiFi aspect interests me. I have a wireless hub in my house for our laptops. I assume it will attempt to connect to that? I will have to give it the network name and password for it to connect...just like a laptop?

Comment

I have a BB Curve and I hated the stock blacberry internet browser, I did some searches and got Opera's browser. I like it way better, and about the only thing that would make it better would be a bigger screen and for more sites to offer mobile versions.

Comment

So...the BB has a micro USB port. I know that when I add other computers to my wireless hub I have to create a little file on a USB thumb drive and insert in the new computer to "authorize" it on the network. So...how does a person do that with a BB? The port is too small to accept a standard thumb drive. Do they require you type in all the info for the network name and password?

Problem is I don't remember what I set the password to be. Is there a way to see what is behind the little dots? I went to my nework wireless security tab.. I can see the network name....but the password is blocked from view by little circles. I will have to to have that password to make the BB work on the hub right?

I believe it comes with software to sync it to my laptop...so that it will refresh with outlook email and calendar. I need it to do that...this laptop is my reminder book..it will be good to have reminders come from my phone.

I would forget my arse if it wasn't stitched on.

Thanks
                      Mac.

Comment

Originally posted by mochinist
                        I have a BB Curve and I hated the stock blacberry internet browser, I did some searches and got Opera's browser. I like it way better, and about the only thing that would make it better would be a bigger screen and for more sites to offer mobile versions.
                        So...did you just download it on your computer and then use a jumper wire to shoot it from computer usb..to BB usb?

Did you have to remove the BB browser to make it happen?

Oh...this is a whole new learning curve. I went to the BB site...and looked at the App store. Gawd...they have a lot of stuff... I am not sure I have enough geek in me to begin to understand all the BB stuff. My old BB was a dinosaur compared to the Curve.. It will be interesting. AS long as it gets email reliably and syncs to my outlook I am happy...all the rest is added toys.

Comment

Originally posted by motorcyclemac
                          So...did you just download it on your computer and then use a jumper wire to shoot it from computer usb..to BB usb?

Did you have to remove the BB browser to make it happen?

Oh...this is a whole new learning curve. I went to the BB site...and looked at the App store. Gawd...they have a lot of stuff... I am not sure I have enough geek in me to begin to understand all the BB stuff. My old BB was a dinosaur compared to the Curve.. It will be interesting. AS long as it gets email reliably and syncs to my outlook I am happy...all the rest is added toys.
                          No, I just used blackberrys internet browser and went to the opera website ad downloaded it directly to the phone. As for your wifi, you will need your network key to log onto it...I think, wifi wasnt included with my carrier, alltel

Comment

Here's what this site looks like on my BB. The light on the screen confused my camera's light meter and it darkened the ambient area. Anyway - it's pretty clunky.

Comment

after years of using a few of windows mobile phones with the first model iphone (puke) mixed in there, and pile of nokia phones, i finally broke down and got a blackberry a few months ago.

the internet isn't the prettiest, but it seems to work for the most part. unlike everything else that was out there a year or more ago, my 9000 actually plays flash videos reliably, which none of my phones have ever done. i can finally watch youtube on the phone.

the only problems i've run into so far are the occasional pages which will just be blank. they tend to be login pages for stuff, so i usually just give up and go use my laptop instead...
                              -paul

Comment

Working...
                              X