Magic Mouse beats Mighty Mouse

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Magic Mouse beats Mighty Mouse

I got fed up with my wireless Mighty Mouse with the spherical scroll ball in the middle. It would intermittently lose connectivity even with fresh batteries. Perhaps it was because the scroll ball was feeding microscopic dirt into the insides. Whenever this happened the cure was to turn the mouse upside down and spin the ball forcefully until connectivity was restored.

So today I went to the Apple Store and bought the new Magic Mouse http://store.apple.com/us/product/MB829LL/A. It has no moving parts, is sealed against contamination, and is a complete joy to use. The scrolling is done with a swipe of a finger. And here is a surprise which I had not seen described in print: the scrolling can be set to incorporate momentum, virtually mimicking the behaviour of a heavy scroll ball or wheel.

I've been practicing with Frank Ford's long list of hints http://www.frets.com/HomeShopTech/ShopTips/tiplist.html. I position the cursor at the top of the page, give the Magic Mouse a quick swipe, and watch as the whole long page scrolls by, gradually losing velocity. If I gauge things just right it stops scrolling just as the last hint comes into view. A lesser swipe will stop the scrolling anywhere else you want to go. I never would have thought a mouse could be so much fun.
    Last edited by aostling; 11-28-2009, 10:12 PM.
    Allan Ostling

Phoenix, Arizona

Originally posted by aostling
    I got fed up with my wireless Mighty Mouse with the spherical scroll ball in the middle. It would intermittently lose connectivity even with fresh batteries.
    I have a problem with a lovable cat and cat hair in the scroll ball works. I've gone through 3 of those mice so was very happy to see the no-button/no ball mouse. I haven't heard anyone complain about them yet, and the price is right.

Comment

tried one at the apple store the other day. It was OK, but the only double finger gesture is the two finger swipe, which acts like a cursor key. The guy said they would be adding more gestures later. I was underwhelmed.

Comment

Working...
      X