No announcement yet.

Connecting to HSM

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm using www.opendns.com for dns and have never had a problem.

Clutch

Comment

Originally posted by Evan
      It doesn't fix the reply to thread function. That is where I have the most trouble with it timing out most of the time.
      What problem are you having with Reply-To? I don't think I've seen that. I was just getting the random time-outs.

Village Press has had a continual issue with their DNS entries. Last Summer, HSM Forum was cross-resolving with FoodServiceIndustries.com (or something like that).
      "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did."

Comment

Originally posted by Evan
        It doesn't fix the reply to thread function. That is where I have the most trouble with it timing out most of the time.
        That sounds like a cookie problem. The cookie for the IP is possibly going to be different than the one for the web site, and things like connect time and session time can be affected. That was a problem at PM when the server was treating www.practicalmachinist.com differently than it did if you left out the www.

And as I pointed out on PM at the time, embedded links in posts to other practical machinist pages would often take you from the www site to the non-www site and reverse. It produced a lot of confusion to say the least.
        Last edited by dp; 11-29-2009, 06:12 PM.

Comment

This site seems to be competing for the worlds most unreliable DNS servers. They seem to go down at least once a day, probably significantly more, and usually stay down for a good bit.

Some might not see the problem much if DNS information is cached on their end.

Using the IP address allows you to use the site without DNS working; doesn't work for links, though.

My guess is the DNS server process is crashing and they restart it manually or with a timed script. Thus it takes a long time to restart. The process could be restarted automatically and immediately by having a parent process which invokes the DNS server, waits for it to exit, and repeats. The server itself should be upgraded so it doesn't crash frequently, as well. One cause for crashes can be attempted security exploits, such as a buffer overflow; if the server is crashing, it is probably vulnerable even if the exploits haven't (yet) found the proper combination to actually break in.

When you use the IP address, the HTTP server doesn't necessarily know which web site to take you to, since multiple web sites can reside at the same IP address and the browser sends a copy of the domain name in the request. If you enter the IP address, the browser sends the IP address which is common to multiple sites. Fortunately, that isn't a problem for this site.

But, as someone pointed out, if you start with the domainname and switch to the IP address when the site goes down you lose your cookies (which are stored under the domain name) and further internal links will still be trying to use the domain name the page was loaded from instead of the IP address. Thus, switching to the IP address while trying to post a message doesn't work. You need to cut and paste the text of the message somewhere, back up to the page you were responding to, change the URL in the address bar to use the IP address,then hit reply and cut and paste your text back.

Big pain and probably having a very large impact on site traffic and posting.

Comment

Originally posted by whitis
            This site seems to be competing for the worlds most unreliable DNS servers. They seem to go down at least once a day, probably significantly more, and usually stay down for a good bit.
            The TTL advertised by the name servers is just 3600 seconds so the servers don't have to be down long for the addresses to go stale. The other problem is that both servers are on the same subnet. That means if there's a network flicker it impacts both name servers. Since the web site is on that same subnet it's probably moot as it would go down, too.

Comment

A big disconnect

It will be interesting to see what happens when Craig Foster and George Bulliss have their say and what happens afterward when they read this thread.

I have PM-ed both of them. I'd guess that I was not the only one!!

It certainly is not new - nor infrequent either.

I have been keeping a rough log of time on/up and off/down back to the hour I logged on and off and when it failed in the "reply" - which was lost. PITA.

There was no really evident consistency there.

I could either be refused on initial logging-on or "lose it" when replying.

I used a proxy server and that pretty well always got me logged on but it was slow and a real kludge and I had only basic editing in reply or edit. It was a real PITA - as I had to repeatedly (re)log on again but at least I had a connection of sorts to this forum. I just gritted my teeth and persevered.

I did notice that when using the proxy server that others apparently had a connection as well, but as no one had mentioned a proxy server before, I just presumed that they had a good consistent connection and the the "lock out" was local here.

I got quite used to it - but I didn't like it.

I chased up my ISP - who was very good about it - but it was not a fault with the ISP. It was pointing back to VP or its server or ISP.

Even when normally logged on to the site, I get "drop outs" which I didn't know about until I went to post or reply - and so I had to log on again. It was almost as it I had been reverted from "member" to "visitor" status.

I got into the habit of "copying" a post or reply or edit before I posted them so as not to "lose" them.

I am surprised that this topic and thread was not raised earlier - much earlier.

While the connection was down neither members nor visitors (future members?) could access the site, but in any case only members have the use of the VP/HSM PM and email facilities.

There must have been some pretty "pissed off" members and visitors.

Loss of interest by visitors is a pretty good chance of a loss of future forum members as well as a loss of current (renewal) and new VP magazine subscriptions - ie money or revenue for VP.

Of all the sites I use - mostly infrequently - this has to be the most unreliable and frustrating of all of them.

I hope that VP gets it right quickly and keeps it right.

Comment

Working...
              X