Connecting to HSM

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Connecting to HSM

I have been having difficulties connecting to this site recently. I am no computer expert but it sometimes works and sometimes don't. I spotted this thread on another web site and tried to do what they recommended.
    http://modeleng.proboards.com/index....ay&thread=4540
    After doing all this it seems to point the finger at this web page, what do you think about that? Obviously its working now for me so I cannot see how I can improve things my end to fix the problem.
    Regards
    Alan

I had a similar problem last year along with others. I'll see if I can dig-out my resolution to it.

Are you on Virginmedia?
    Peter - novice home machinist, modern motorcycle enthusiast.

Denford Viceroy 280 Synchro (11 x 24)
    Herbert 0V adapted to R8 by 'Sir John'.
    Monarch 10EE 1942

Comment

I also have had a similar problem, which was solved by usining the IP address rather than the domain name to access the site. I did not investigate thoroughly but it looked to me as if the ISP used by the site's owners had some temporary DNS problems. I am now back to using the normal address. It can take a little while for DNS changes to propogate, so the fix might have happened a while back.
      Bill

Comment

Looking back at this thread:

http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/showthread.php?t=31257

It appears that it was a DNS fault that had been resolved.
        Peter - novice home machinist, modern motorcycle enthusiast.

Denford Viceroy 280 Synchro (11 x 24)
        Herbert 0V adapted to R8 by 'Sir John'.
        Monarch 10EE 1942

Comment

Just for clarity - the problem that I had was over the last few weeks, not last year. It may however have the same root cause.
          Bill

Comment

Thanks guys for your replies. I have looked through the previous "This site is no longer reachable" and will try to apply some of the suggestions. From all that extensive reading it seems that the most likely cause of the problem is that there is a mysterious Matrix DNS farm located in the Atlantic ocean somewhere of the east cost of USA which is having connectivity issues with XP servers that need to be trawled for bankrupt village people using a plusnet. At least now I have got a handle on the problem which is half the battle. Solving problems like this makes multi- start left hand threading look simple.
            Best Regards
            Alan

Comment

I have been having the same problems since the big shutdown a few weeks ago. Whatever changed it wasn't for the better.
              Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

Originally posted by Evan
                I have been having the same problems since the big shutdown a few weeks ago. Whatever changed it wasn't for the better.
                Funnily enough I have had the reverse, before we had a problem with it getting throttled just outside New York but recently it's going thru OK.

Must be the paths that various servers are using?

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

Comment

Thanks for the suggestion it now seems to work if I use this route
                  http://69.223.24.78/

the normal web page I used http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/forumdisplay.php?f=3
                  seems to be less predictable, works sometimes then does not
                  Regards
                  Alan

Comment

Originally posted by Evan
                    Ditto. I connect to HSM forum from a dozen different machines (depending where I am at work ), and Village Press is having an issue with the DNS resolution again.

bookmarking

http://69.223.24.78/forumdisplay.php?f=3

fixes the problem, but that's a hack.
                    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did."

Comment

Touch wood...I have had no trouble at all
                      Ernie (VE7ERN)

May the wind be always at your back

Comment

I don't have any trouble connecting, but while I'm thread surfing the connection is lost from the other end and I get the ''page can't be displayed'' msg. This can happen several time during the day or night while I'm logged on.

Steve

Comment

Originally posted by doctor demo
                          I don't have any trouble connecting, but while I'm thread surfing the connection is lost from the other end and I get the ''page can't be displayed'' msg. This can happen several time during the day or night while I'm logged on.
                          That's what I'm seeing as well, from several different machines, and several different "ISP's."

Using HSM Forum's raw IP address fixes it.
                          "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did."

Comment

Since the http://69.223.24.78/ now directs you to this site (it used to take you to an incomplete on-line store), it appears there has been some web server work done since that last great DNS kerfuffle in 2008.

In that thread I mentioned that http 1.1 web servers require a hostname, not an IP, to resolve to a specific web site as the IP alone sends you to the default domain hosted on the server. That default domain is now this site. It can also mean that this server is no longer dishing up several virtual domains, but not necessarily.

I was surprised that the BBS would be the default domain so knowing it's possible that it is also the only domain on the server, I looked further (It is more common to use the common host as the default but there are no rules regarding it). So I just checked, and the BBS is still an alias (CNAME) of europa-0.villagepress.com so it appears the default domain really is the bbs now. The digitalmachinist.net domain is also an alias of europa-0 and has the same IP so virtual hosting seems to be alive and well.

Comment

Using HSM Forum's raw IP address fixes it.
                              It doesn't fix the reply to thread function. That is where I have the most trouble with it timing out most of the time.
                              Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

Working...
                              X