Someone to do small o.d. drill bit grinding

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Someone to do small o.d. drill bit grinding

Looking for someone to do grind my 3/8 straight shank drill bits approx. 6 iinches long, down back to 5/16 approx 2 inches. Please contact me anytime at [email protected]. I have 6 drill bits, If im pleased with the work i may have more in the future. prices please!! Drill bits will be like a step drill bit!! I have a example i can send along!!

Do the flutes need to be reprofiled after grinding?

1 No: Easy and cheap

2 Yes: Very expensive, few can do.
    Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

I would like somebody to sharpen a bunch of endmills, but I would not think to ask here. I would go to a tool sharpener. For something REALLY different, definitely, but I thought that this was a sort of social forum, NOT a hiring hall for jobber work. Duffy
      Duffy, Gatineau, Quebec

Comment

Evan, no on the flutes

Comment

Know of anybody who can help me out?? I can supply a example, know of anybody who can tell me how to do it??

Comment

Originally posted by Mr.Machinist
            Know of anybody who can help me out?? I can supply a example, know of anybody who can tell me how to do it??
            grab a phone book and look for screw macine shops. The tool and die guys do that every day ony way fancy with radius and chamfers.

they grind the small diameter round and get away with it due to the fact they have 100 psi oil - 1,000 psi coolent hitting the drill hole and drill holes in 2 seconds, not screwing around at all.

yep grab a phone book.

Comment

Grinding a 3/8 drill bit to 5/16 Dia. and drilling a 2" deep hole with it will be a little tricky. Because of the web thickness of the bit, there will not be much room for chips.
              Its your deal not mine, just a thought. Good luck with your project.

Comment

Grinding not chips, need someone that does grinding

Comment

Chips was refering to using the drill, it produces chips when used.
                  What are you trying to achive? If its something like countersinking for a cap head screw

then you simpley need to drill the smaller hole size, then use a piloted counterbore as shown here to produce the secondary larger part of the hole.
                  Play Brutal Nature, Black Moons free to play highly realistic voxel sandbox game.

Comment

Try over on the Practical Machinist Forum

Comment

This seems a little confusing. You want to take a 3/8" drill that is 6 inches long and reduce the shank to 5/16" and then shorten the drill to be 2" long? Why not just post a photo of your example. It would be much clearer.

Comment

it sounds to me like he's looking for something like a silver and demming drill...

does demming have one or two m's?
                        -paul

Comment

He is looking for a step drill to drill a 5/16" X 2" deep hole followed by a 3/8" diameter counterbore. The subject drill is 6" OAL.

Check local area for tool grinders, if that is not an option, how many do you need and what accuracy is required, it is a common modification.

Here are a couple of on line shops;

http://www.cnctoolsource.com/

http://www.tomahawktoolservice.com/
                          Jim H.

Comment

I make them for myself with my carriage mounted grinder.

This is what I presume is described (different dimensions).

Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

Working...
                            X