OT Google Chrome

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT Google Chrome

Any body upgraded to this and is it as good as the old Google??????

Thanks Graeme

No Chrome here. Last I heard, it wasn't available for Linux and besides, I'm addicted to Firefox add-ons.

I think it's healthy to have more competition, though. When one browser comes out with a winning feature, the other browsers eventually copy it. Everyone wins.

Comment

I'm a FireFox + Plugins addict as well.. one of my Favorite is AdBlockPlus, along with the element hider. Blocks 95% of all ads online. Seeing that this really goes against what Google needs (ad revenue) it maybe awhile before you see something similar for Chrome. I did try it when it came out, but without plugins, just too frustrating.

my 2 cents worth...

Cheers
      Mike

Comment

I occasionally use Iron, which is Chrome with all the Google Phone-Home crap removed.

http://www.srware.net/downloads/srware_iron.exe

It's a great browser, very fast, very clean interface. I don't know who copied who, but they have the same "each browser tab in a separate process" architecture that IE 8 does, so when a browser tab crashes, it doesn't take the whole browser down like it does on Firefox.

The downside, like the others have said, is no plug-ins, which includes Ad Blockers. There's nascent support for an internal Ad Blocker based on a static Blacklist, but you have to manually download and install a config file. It works pretty well, but they don't have automatically updated subscriptions like AdBlock Plus.
        Last edited by lazlo; 12-03-2009, 02:39 PM.
        "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did."

Comment

Chrome is fast, but it drives my Yahoo e-mail nuts, so that I run under Fire Fox. That's the only complaint so far after using it for months now.
          Steve
          NRA Life Member

Comment

I like Chrome. I did find a few compatibility issues though.
            I used to like Firefox but for some reason Safari runs faster on my MAC by a good margin and I have become a Safari fan now.

Steve

Comment

I switched to Chrome. It runs noticeably faster than IE7. Its bare-bones appearance keep some of its features hidden, but little by little I'm finding them.

My biggest gripe with Chrome comes from saving pictures to my HDD. In most cases it does not add on the extension. Thus, when I go to look at the picture later on, the computer cannot figure out what application should be used to open the file. This takes several extra mouse clicks and is a pain in the butt.

If I remember, I'll add the .jpg, or whatever, when saving the file to disk, but this should not be necessary. After all, other browsers do not have this problem.

I'll stick with Chrome because of its speed.

Orrin
              So many projects. So little time.

Comment

I have been using Chrome most of this year and like it. I switched to Chrome when I had issues with the IE7 to 8 change. I also have Firefox and use it sometimes.
                It's only ink and paper

Comment

Hey thanks for mentioning "Iron" Robert. Great browser, I had never heard of it.

Steve

Comment

I have been using Chrome for some time now. IE runs so SLOW! I had played with adjusting things at different times to get it to run faster, I think it is that kind of a problem. It is like it is looking ahead at something and freezes up instead of downloading a web page.

Finally just gave up and started using Chrome. Much faster, fewer hassles. Kind of goofy at times with some things, but worth it just because it is so much faster than IE.

Comment

I bounce back and forth between Chrome and IE8 regularly. Chrome won't open pdf files worth a crap for me but otherwise I like it.

Comment

Chrome won't open pdf files worth a crap for me but otherwise I like it.
                        Me, too. I forgot to mention that problem in my earlier reply. I have to switch to IE to download most PDFs.

Orrin
                        So many projects. So little time.

Comment

Originally posted by RetiredFAE
                          Chrome is fast, but it drives my Yahoo e-mail nuts, so that I run under Fire Fox. That's the only complaint so far after using it for months now.

How's your Firefox and your Yahoo email doing now?

In the recent past, Firefox and Yahoo email were NOT playing well together.

I had to go to IE to use my Yahoo accounts.

TMT

Comment

I block everything possible at Google except the search engine using my proxy server. Not likely I'm going to install any browsers on my system. I've even disabled the net nanny software in FireFox that checks every URL with Google before downloading it. I don't want Google tracking every web site I visit.

Comment

Originally posted by dp
                              I've even disabled the net nanny software in FireFox that checks every URL with Google before downloading it. I don't want Google tracking every web site I visit.
                              Where in firefox is this feature?

Comment

Working...
                              X