Drip vs mist vs flood

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drip vs mist vs flood

I don't want to derail the drop coolant thread so I will start a new one.
    Looking for opinions on what is the best coolant option for a small CNC mill located inside the house.

Where the mill is located a enclosure in difficult space wise. That makes flood not a leading contender.
    High speed air is interesting but don't want a large compressor running inside.

It sounds like mist is not a good choice based on what I have read.

So the drop or Fog Buster style seems very very interesting. What are everyone experiences?
    The Fog Buster looks interesting but if it does not work it's really overpriced.
    I am sure there are other similar types.

Thanks
    Dave

Dave,

I have been looking at coolant systems for several months and believe the micro-drop style is the best for a typical homeshop vs the other two. The two leaders appear to be Trico and Acculube both use a pump system to deliver a small number of drop to the tip of the air flow. The huge plus in my view is no misting of everything in the shop, and no mess like the flood concept.

I have actually gather enough parts (except for a pump) to build something which I have no doubt would work as well as the big boys system, but will cost way less. It is a pretty simple concept if you study the systems on the market. I am not exactly sure what to use as a pump but some of the small medical style pumps would appear to work. Air control valves are available from a wide variety of suppliers.

An internet search will yield many positive responses on this style system.

Robert

Comment

If done right, the air supply can double as a vacuum source to draw the fluid, no pump needed (other then the air compressor of course)
      Play Brutal Nature, Black Moons free to play highly realistic voxel sandbox game.

Comment

I have a single Noga unit (Enco cat no. 307-3272) which I use on my lathe, mill and bandsaw A gallon of coolant which I use from an old plastic jug lasts a long time, and I don't even re-cycle it yet. I set it for a coarse, low velocity spray (sputter) for most operations and I couldn't be happier. It will siphon anything from lightweight water/alchohol mixes to straight vegetable oil and uses a very reasonable amount of air.

Comment

We have a couple of the Trico microdrop units on CNC bed mills at the place that I work. I had to take one of them apart for repair one time due to an air leak that it had developed. There was no pump, per se, for the coolant. The coolant was moved to the nozzle by pressurizing the coolant tank with a small fixed regulator off of the incoming air supply, which pushed the liquid through a needle metering valve out to the nozzle. A second regulator/needle valve controlled the air that flowed through a separate tube to the nozzle at higher pressure & flow than the liquid.

This particular unit is maybe 6 or so years old, I have no idea if the current Trico units are built the same but I would guess they are. The guys in the machine shop that use them really like them.

Comment

Thank you everyone for the great information. After looking at the prices I can afford to try the noga unit first and not be unhappy if if does not work. The Trico one looks interesting but rather spendy.
            Thanks
            Dave

Comment

Could someone clarify a bit more how the Noga and Trico systems work? It sounds like they do use compressed air and somehow insert small drops of coolant into the air stream. So they do require compressors or do they have some other way of generating the air? And is the coolant inserted into the air stream constantly or drop by drop? What kind of tubing? Etc?
              Paul A.

Make it fit.
              You can't win and there is a penalty for trying!

Comment

From all I have read on the Trico MD1200 (and the competitor Acculube Jr) is that a small pump supplies small pressurized drops into the air stream. There appears to be two lines feeding the nozzle (the smaller fluid line is enclosed within the larger air supply line). Close to the point of exit from the nozzle the drops are combined under pressure with the air flow. It's this action which prevents the typical mist as the drops are large enough in size and the time in suspension is short enough that the fluid and air hits the object before mist can be formed.

I have not researched the Noga system but my belief is that it is just a typical mist system with a vaccum fluid pickup.

A micro-drop system (ie Trico MD1200 or Acculube Jr) is not a typical mist system. If you check the parts listing for these devices you will find a pump which is not in a typical mist setup. These sytems also allow one to set the numbers of drops per minute.

Paul, yes you need compressed air but the requirements are fairly minimal.
                Robert
                Last edited by RTPBurnsville; 12-04-2009, 01:37 PM.

Comment

I have my mister working to my satisfaction as far as functon is concerned. In situations where cutting steel and generating a lot of heat the vapor created is still causing breathing problems. I can tollerate the smoke off cutting oil better than I can the vapor off the mister. I am going to install a vacuum system anyway. This could easily be vented outside. I have also been rounding up parts to do a vent-a-hood over the workbench for solvent/brazing vapors. For lower power operations it works great. I still think WD 40 produces better surface finish on aluminum so I may just wind up using that in the mister.
                  Byron Boucher
                  Burnet, TX

Comment

Working...
                  X