Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Skookum lathe table 2

Lathe jacked half way up.

This bolt had to be excavated 'cause I didn't want to have to lift the machine off it. It was a bit ugly.

Lathe jacked up flush with the new table.

Slide it over.
    Mike

My Dad always said, "If you want people to do things for you on the farm, you have to buy a machine they can sit on that does most of the work."

Ahhhuhh... Hmm... Seems like a lot of work for a lathe that looks like I could lift by myself.
    It looks like you are bringing a bazooka to a knife fight. But it looks like a safe way to go.

--Doozer
    DZER

Comment

Looks like a well made bench from what I can see of it.
      I seldom do anything within the scope of logical reason and calculated cost/benefit, etc- I'm following my passion-

Comment

Thats quite the scary lift job.. Not sure I would of blocked things up so high I love my engine hoist.
        Play Brutal Nature, Black Moons free to play highly realistic voxel sandbox game.

Comment

The pictures are great. The rigging is just plain dangerous. Glad it worked out with the desired objective. Have fun making chips!
          Byron Boucher
          Burnet, TX

Comment

Originally posted by Doozer
            Ahhhuhh... Hmm... Seems like a lot of work for a lathe that looks like I could lift by myself.
            It looks like you are bringing a bazooka to a knife fight. But it looks like a safe way to go.

--Doozer
            The specified weight is 374 Lbs. I lifted it with chuck, tailstock, and toolpost removed. I saw a youtube video of a guy lifting 1100 Lbs but I'm not that guy.

I always try to go with overkill and so far, it has served me well.

Mike
            Mike

My Dad always said, "If you want people to do things for you on the farm, you have to buy a machine they can sit on that does most of the work."

Comment

Originally posted by Boucher
              The pictures are great. The rigging is just plain dangerous. Glad it worked out with the desired objective. Have fun making chips!
              It was never scary but what do I know. If you are a rigger, I have nothing but respect for you guys. I could lift the tail end. The headstock is gravity bound and the hydraulics were pretty necessary. The left side jack is happy with 500 Lbs on it and it has left/right stability.
              I don't really know what I'm doing but I know what I've got away with in the past. I've always stopped in time and got bigger stuff.

Mike
              Mike

Comment

lathe move....

it is always better to over engineer on a move...I moved my 13 inch South Bend lathe with a 2 ton engine hoist on to the F150 and off loaded at other house with just me, but could have used a hand or two......packrat

Comment

Originally posted by Black_Moons
                  I love my engine hoist.

Absolutely! I end up using my cherry picker for everything! I have even loaded stripped out shells of cars onto the trailer with the engine hoist. That was hairy though.

I also have a car hoist in my shop that comes in very very handy for lifting extremely heavy things and back the truck underneath.
                  Andy

Comment

Originally posted by MotorradMike
                    I always try to go with overkill and so far, it has served me well.

Mike
                    There is no kill like overkill.

We block up 70,000lb tractors with less blocking. Only scary part is the stability of those jacks to me but with 374lbs that looks like plenty.
                    Dan from Raleigh, NC

If it's stupid but it works, it's not stupid.
                    "What is your host's purpose for the party? Surely not for you to enjoy yourself; if that were their sole purpose, they'd have sent champagne and women over to your place by taxi." P.J. O'Rourke

Comment

Glad it worked

I am also a lover of cherry pickers. Putting a Smithy 1324 on the stand with a cherry picker is a piece of cake compared to installing a 5.9 with an Allison bolted to it. Jan

Comment

Removed text - sorry, but I'd followed Motor's link from Dunc's post, and intended to comment about that lift.

Motorrad - you do it like I do. Only hurt myself once, and it could have been a lot worse. It was worse for the mill though ! Took few hours to mend it, and me feeling a fool the whole time !

You can do amazing stuff with well cut blocks of wood.
                        Last edited by rohart; 05-01-2010, 08:06 PM.
                        Richard - SW London, UK, EU.

Comment

Working...
                        X