Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Weather/Maps on the Dialup Internet

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Weather/Maps on the Dialup Internet

    I used to use the map feature on Yahoo but it has become so cumbersome on dialup/cell that it is useless.

    The same for Google Maps.

    I find that the weather feature on Yahoo is also suffering from bandwidth bloat.

    Is there a map and weather sites that is useful on dialup/cell?

    Thanks

    TMT

  • #2
    I'm not on dial up, but this site doesn't seem too bloated
    http://www.weather.com/




    By the way I really hate the new yahoo layout

    Comment


    • #3
      Go here and select the option you want at the top right of the screen.

      http://www.wunderground.com/

      The lowest bandwidth is "mobile".
      Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

      Comment


      • #4
        the new yahoo layout is going to force me to change my homepage.

        yahoo has always been my homepage, ever since they first appeared back in '95 or 96...

        yet another recent example of the old adage "if it ain't broke, don't fix it"
        -paul

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by psomero
          the new yahoo layout is going to force me to change my homepage.
          You too, try to click on something, but you accidentally mouse over just about everything on the page, piles and piles of crap pop up all over the place, and then when you got to try and close the popped up crap, you end up clicking an ad, which is usually some huge bloated piece of crap with tons of vids and crappy music, takes 6 months to load and doesn't want to close.

          Yeah, they screwed that up, it was such a nice simple page.

          Yahoo, NOW not recommended for weather in the slightest.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by psomero
            yet another recent example of the old adage "if it ain't broke, don't fix it"
            Yeah, I hate that. Ebay and even weather.com are always making useless changes that don't seem to offer me any benefit other than more ads. One I really hate is on weather.com (The Weather Channel page). They used to have weather icons in the ten day forecast that were just the right size to fit all ten days on one page. For whatever reason the idiots increased the size of the icons and now you have to scroll up and down to see all ten days. And what really burns me is that all they did was add white space to the icons, they didn't even increase the actual image size in the icon!!!!!

            andy b.
            The danger is not that computers will come to think like men - but that men will come to think like computers. - some guy on another forum not dedicated to machining

            Comment


            • #7
              I second Wunderground. I use a customized page on my home server that retrieves everything I normally look at all on a single page.
              "Work hard. Tell everyone everything you know. Close a deal with a handshake. Have fun!"

              -- Harold "Doc" Edgerton

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Evan
                Go here and select the option you want at the top right of the screen.

                http://www.wunderground.com/

                The lowest bandwidth is "mobile".
                Yeah I think this will be the one.

                Any suggestions for maps?

                TMT

                Comment


                • #9
                  Hey that looks pretty good. The jet stream change over the SW does
                  seem a bit abrupt at the end of the animation though. :-)
                  ...lew...

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Depends on what you are looking for or interested in.

                    My page shows: (I set these links for Mesa)
                    Radar for the entire US
                    Local Radar
                    Jet Stream
                    Visible Satellite
                    IR Satellite
                    Current Conditions
                    Sun Rise/Set Times
                    Moon rise/Set Times




                    Originally posted by Too_Many_Tools
                    Yeah I think this will be the one.

                    Any suggestions for maps?

                    TMT
                    "Work hard. Tell everyone everything you know. Close a deal with a handshake. Have fun!"

                    -- Harold "Doc" Edgerton

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      I go right to the source. Very low byte load.

                      http://www.goes.noaa.gov/

                      http://www.goes.noaa.gov/browsw.html

                      http://www.hpc.ncep.noaa.gov/sfc/90fbw.gif (map, very quick load)
                      Last edited by Evan; 12-05-2009, 01:37 AM.
                      Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Too_Many_Tools
                        I used to use the map feature on Yahoo but it has become so cumbersome on dialup/cell that it is useless.

                        The same for Google Maps.

                        I find that the weather feature on Yahoo is also suffering from bandwidth bloat.

                        Is there a map and weather sites that is useful on dialup/cell?

                        Thanks

                        TMT
                        Thanks for all the responses..they are appreciated.

                        Maybe I should clarify that the maps I am talking about are road maps...not weather maps.

                        Like distance between A and B and the best route to drive.

                        TMT

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          http://roadnav.sourceforge.net/

                          It's free and the data is free. The download for windows is only 5 megs.
                          Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Hmmm, believe it or not, harley Davidson used to have a pretty good one, not sure that it still exists. Unfortunately it was a bandwidth hog.

                            For that matter, you may find that most of the map sights are bandwidth hogs, it takes alot of info to put up a decent map, and since most people are not on dialup anymore none of the web folks care about saving bandwidth.

                            BTW, here's my favorite weather page:
                            http://www.weather.gov/

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by tdkkart
                              Hmmm, believe it or not, harley Davidson used to have a pretty good one, not sure that it still exists. Unfortunately it was a bandwidth hog.

                              For that matter, you may find that most of the map sights are bandwidth hogs, it takes alot of info to put up a decent map, and since most people are not on dialup anymore none of the web folks care about saving bandwidth.

                              BTW, here's my favorite weather page:
                              http://www.weather.gov/
                              That has got me wondering...why do they make these sites such bandwidth hogs?

                              The fastest growing market...the cell market (3G/4G) ... needs low bandwidth apps and the different sites seem to be hell bent on making themselves impossible to use.

                              I also seem to recall reading that about 40% of the users on the Internet are still on dialup.

                              Seems like the sites are shooting themselves in the foot with their current approaches.

                              TMT

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X