Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

OT AV install problems, recent thread search?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT AV install problems, recent thread search?

I used to recommend AVG.... looks like that is going to be history.

Version 8 won't uninstall, and version 9 won't install on an XP box. AVG8 won't update either, it's basically holding its breath and turning blue, and seems to be frozen halfway uninstalled and halfway installed..

However, Malwarebytes, Spybot, and other AV programs detect nothing in the way of malware on the system. Looks like it may be an AVG problem, and if so it is a bad one.

I thought I had seen a thread on that recently, but of course it is impossible to search for 'AVG" since it has only 3 letters.

Anyone recall that thread?
    2801 3147 6749 8779 4900 4900 4900

Keep eye on ball.
    Hashim Khan

It's just a box of rain, I don't know who put it there.

I've been using Avast for nearly a year now with good results. It
    automatically up dates and no problems.
    Got rid of AVG when they switched to 8 I think.
    ...lew...

Comment

There are some really bad bugs out there that are posing as AVG the only way to avoid them is to close the parent window. If you click to close the pop up window it is going to execute its installation. Cost me $175 and about a weeks worth of aggrivation. I am just holding my breath hoping that this is over with.
      Byron Boucher
      Burnet, TX

Comment

Originally posted by Boucher
        There are some really bad bugs out there that are posing as AVG the only way to avoid them is to close the parent window. If you click to close the pop up window it is going to execute its installation. Cost me $175 and about a weeks worth of aggrivation. I am just holding my breath hoping that this is over with.
        No pop-ups here, it was a legit install of 8 replacing an earlier version. And the heavyweight programs don't find malware on the system.

It just seems to have gotten very confused, and can't do what it is supposed to. Naturally, there is zero assistance available, and their discussion group has several cases of the exact same thing, with NO answers provided.

Keep eye on ball.
        Hashim Khan

Comment

Aha........

Digging produced the AVG "reset access" utility, which fixed all the issues.

It was able to properly clear the old stuff out after that, so I guess AVG is back on the list of OK, assuming it does no more silly stuff.

It has been pretty trouble-free up to this version, so I really didn't want to dump them.

piece of advice, NEVER allow it to use the "link checker" that supposedly protects you against malicious sites.... it may work, but it also generates a ton of connection traffic, and gets annoying as heck.

Keep eye on ball.
          Hashim Khan

Comment

If it uses a windows installer and you can find the .cab files, download msizap from Microsoft. This debug tool can analyze a cab file and undo all file and registry changes made by it. It's mainly for programmers testing installer packages but it is also handy for deinstalling half baked packages.

I learned about it in a desperate battle with an FEM software package that got half installed and crapped out. The vendor shall remain unnamed today since they were very responsive when it happened.

Comment

AVG 9.0 will certainly install under XP (I've done it), but I've found V9 to have intermittent problems that look for all the world as though they have a race condition somewhere. The problems disappear if you turn off the Active Surf-Shield feature.
              ----------
              Try to make a living, not a killing. -- Utah Phillips
              Don't believe everything you know. -- Bumper sticker
              Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects. -- Will Rogers
              There are lots of people who mistake their imagination for their memory. - Josh Billings
              Law of Logical Argument - Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
              Don't own anything you have to feed or paint. - Hood River Blackie

Comment

Working...
              X