Grizz G0484 vs. G3103

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grizz G0484 vs. G3103

I fancy the G0480, but have concerns about the top speed.
    Anyone fit a VFD/3P motor to one?

Would like to hear from users of either.

(to the people who will say "Buy a used BP" don't bother.
    Unless you know of a mint one in Boundary or Bonner Counties)

Personally, I'd spend the extra $300 (shipping) and get the G3616. The table size is the same as the G0484, but it's about 1000# heavier, has high speed.

Comment

Originally posted by mechanicalmagic
      Personally, I'd spend the extra $300 (shipping) and get the G3616. The table size is the same as the G0484, but it's about 1000# heavier, has high speed.
      It's another $900 delivered but it seems like a much better machine. If you have the money and the room the G3616 seems like a better deal. Although the x-axis travel is only Table travel (longitudinal): 15-1/2"
      compared to the G0484 at Table travel (longitudinal) 21-5/8"

Y is the same Table travel (cross) 7-7/8"

Comment

Considered a square collumn? You get more XYZ..
        http://www.ihcnc.com/pages/bed-mill.php
        Play Brutal Nature, Black Moons free to play highly realistic voxel sandbox game.

Comment

I don't know why grizzly only supply's the 3616 and 3617 with the 31-1/2" tables? When over here in Australia the have come with 39-1/2" tables with 24" travel for as long as I can remember.
          Dave

Comment

You have to ask why is it only 1,500 rpm. How noisy and how durable will that gearbox be at higher rpm.

1,500 rpm is painfully slow. My advice, look elsewhere.

Phil

Originally posted by PSD KEN
            I fancy the G0480, but have concerns about the top speed.
            Anyone fit a VFD/3P motor to one?

Would like to hear from users of either.

(to the people who will say "Buy a used BP" don't bother.
            Unless you know of a mint one in Boundary or Bonner Counties)

Comment

I looked at the 3616, but I do not need anything larger than a G3103.

I think the Knee would be a welcome addition.

Looking at the 12X36 lathe, but it is slow too. (1400 rpm)
              The 13 1/2 X 40 has one more speed, making it more attractive.

I assume one could use a D1-4 adapter and us a 3 or 4" chuck when required.

Decisions, decisions!

Comment

I recently got a G0484 and think it is an excellent machine for the money. I use a round column mill at work and it is a real PITA. The head is difficult to manually raise and lower and the belt drive is a pain to change. And my hands are completely black after a belt change. Also, the motor is difficult to tension: a lever of some kind is really necessary. The G0484 has a wonderful feature, motorized Z axis movement - a motor to raise and lower the head. This is great. And speed changes are acomplished by just flipping two levers on the front panel. No jockeying the belts into position and retensioning. I can tell you I am a LOT more likely to adjust the speed for optimal cutting on the gear head than on the belt drive unit. I often just leave the belt drive machine where it is for a quick cut. The gear noise is only slightly worse than the belt drive.

As for the high speed thing (2700 vs 1500 RPM), get some four flute mills and you will cut off twich as much with the lower speed. And the cutters will last longer at the lower cutting speed. On the other hand, I have used the low speeds several times already and like the control they give me for difficult cuts. I used an inexpensive fly cutter to cut some large diameter holes in sheet aluminum yesterday and I used the second slowest speed, 114 RPM. I would not have wanted to attempt it at the 240 RPM, lowest speed of the G3103.

I read the specs for the G3103 and didn't find anything that I find attractive. Spindle movement is 3" instead of the G0484s 4.75", that's a big minus that means more knee adjustments. Oh, and the work envelope is smaller. You get less for more.

One warning, if you do decide on the G0484, DO ASK about delivery time. I had to wait almost a full year after placing the order. Of course, you should ask that question about any machine you decide to order.
                Paul A.

Make it fit.
                You can't win and there is a penalty for trying!

Comment

Working...
                X