What I did today (pics)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What I did today (pics)

Being soaking wet outside I decided to do one PITA shop repair/mod and one Backburner customer part.

The first is a flyweight for the brake on a casket lowering hoist.Extreme right is the damaged old weight,center the one good weight that was left and on the left we have a plaster mould of the good one.

The nould was just a section of tubing tacked to a plate with an old roller chain leaf for a support to hang the good weight from while the plaster dried.I sped up the drying process with a couple hours in the heat treat furnace set on 250F.

Once the plaster was set,a couple good taps with a screwdriver handle and the original popped out leaving a good cavity for the new pour.Clamped in the old weight stem,re-melted the old weight along with an old battery terminal and poured.The new weight shrank predictably and popped right out.Some cleanup with a file and all is well.
    Last edited by wierdscience; 12-08-2009, 08:36 PM.
    I just need one more tool,just one!

Nice job Darrin.
    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did."

Comment

Second is the PITA fix I have been planning,but didn't have time for.

2hp Taiwan B-port clone,as typical no good surface to pull on when sliding the motor forward or back to change speeds.Capacitor can was always handy,but always working loose as a result.

So I rolled up a ring from 1 x 3/16" flat stock,welded on a couple chain links for a hinge and added a handle and two bosses for the drawbolt.

Here it is installed,makes life easier already.

Comment

Cool, I'll remember that chain link hinge. . .
        Cheers,

Frank Ford
        HomeShopTech

Comment

What Frank said, I really like that chain link thing
          Mel

I would rather have tools that I never use, than not have a tool I need.
          Oregon Coast

Comment

Chain link hinge is genius.

I like the lead mold, too.

Comment

+4 on the hinge ... I've got about 8' of 40 (or was it 60?) chain from a combine that I couldn't let myself throw away, despite being junk. Now I've got a use for it ... a whole bunch of hinges ...

Comment

Drop Dead Gorgeous!

--Doozer
                DZER

Comment

Another vote for the coolness of the chain link hinge!

Comment

Thanks guys,guess you can tell I didn't grow up in the city

Heck I should probably do a post on just all the incarnations of roller chain hinges

Comment

Great ideas and great execution.

Comment

Nice Hinge.

I want to know how the fly weight got to be in that condition. Who did they bury, anyway? The amazing 900 lb man?
                        Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

Dateline: Buffalo, New York
                          UPI

Authorities are disturbed by hundreds of complaints of bicycle chain thefts. In some neighborhoods custom made racing bicycles are being left undamaged while their chains are being stolen. Expensive seats and handle bar mounted GPS units are being passed over for the chains. It is not sure what caused this senseless act of cowardice.

Nice fix in both cases. I have to ditto the chain idea the others mention!
                          - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
                          Thank you to our families of soldiers, many of whom have given so much more then the rest of us for the Freedom we enjoy.

It is true, there is nothing free about freedom, don't be so quick to give it away.

Comment

George-- you pain' attention? This seems like it might be a good one to go in your "from the web" section (I can't remember what it's really called). It fits the form....something ingenious that users can find on the web site, but simple enough that others can make it...and get a lot of use out of.

Nicely executed, Darrin...and as others have mentioned, the roller chain link hinge idea can apply to so many things.

Paul
                            Paul Carpenter
                            Mapleton, IL

Comment

Originally posted by wierdscience

Heck I should probably do a post on just all the incarnations of roller chain hinges
                              Please do...

:thumbsup:

Andy
                              grew up in the city

Comment

Working...
                              X