CBN grinding wheel question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CBN grinding wheel question

I have been trying to purchase a CBN grinding wheel to go on a Baldor type tool grinder. The basic wheel configuration is 6A2C. I thought that was a complete description. Apparrently not, so I am trying to make a drawing to get a Quote. The dimension of the width of the CBN surface is what I am uncertain of. On the Diamond Wheel that I have this width is 3/4". The only CBN wheel that I have seen was a 11V9 cup type with only about 1/4" wide grinding surface. If the cost of the wheel is related to the volume of grinding material, that width becomes important.

What is an appropiate width?

I would sure like to see some pictures of CBN grinding setups.
    Byron Boucher
    Burnet, TX

Shar's carries them. http://www.shars.com/product_categor...402/Cup_Wheels

Bob

Comment

6A2C is the complete discription of the standard 'face' wheel used for those cheap carbide grinders, anyone making you draw stuff up for a 'quote' is just wasting your time and has no clue what you want, and will likey quote you thousands of dollars for some custom wheel if your not buying thousands of them.
      Play Brutal Nature, Black Moons free to play highly realistic voxel sandbox game.

Comment

It depends on what you will be grinding Byron. The width of grit you need is determined by the maximum width that you will grind.

Black moons, the designation does not describe the width of grit on the wheel, it describes the exact shape of the wheel. The grit width, thickness and density are variable.
        Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

evan: I know it does not define the grit, but it does define the wheel shape and that would be what you would search for to find the wheel.
          If a company does not know what a 6A2C wheel is, they likey are not gonna have one to sell you (And drawing them something to custom made/quote is gonna be $$$$)
          Play Brutal Nature, Black Moons free to play highly realistic voxel sandbox game.

Comment

Here is a chart of wheel shapes. The designation does not describe the size of wheel either, only the shape.

Comment

(And drawing them something to custom made/quote is gonna be $$$$)
              No it isn't. All the standard wheels my wife sells can be customised at little or no additional cost. Shapes not on the chart cost slightly more.

I forgot to mention, they are made in Canada too.

Comment

Oh wow. Its rare you hear of custom work that doesnt mean highly expensive compaired to off the shelf products in low quanity, I commend her for not overchargeing just because custom makes it a 'unique' product that can't be gotten elsewhere.

Comment

Bob-- Thanks for that link. I had looked at their site before and not found what you listed.

Black Moons-- 6A2C is a type designation as indicated in Evans post. Complete dimensions must be provided. ASA makes 6A2C wheels up to 36" in diameter. I thought the 6 in 6A2C was for 6 inch diameter. It is not. Current price on a Baldor grinder is over $1200. Glad I got mine back when they were half that. They are sure not in the "cheap" category.

I have tried to deal with Norton and it has been a total frustration. I finally got passed off to a Application Engineer or at least I was given his phone number. He is out of the office until next week. I E mailed their customer service about three weeks ago. They have never responded or even acknowledged the request.

Evan-- I use from 1/4 to 1/2" HSS tool bits. What would you recommend for width dimension "W" (does 1/2" cost Twice as much as 1/4" ??)
                  Byron Boucher
                  Burnet, TX

Comment

Go with 1/4". It doesn't have to be as wide as the tool but if you are going to sharpen large bits like an inch or bigger then a wider band of grit reduces the heat buildup in the binder. The binder in resin bond wheels is a high temperature plastic, usually a polyimide resin. The wider the band the more contact area and the lower the heat in any one area. It will cost twice as much for twice the width. The cost is nearly all in the abrasive. You don't really want to go much wider than 1/2 inch as it weakens the bond to the wheel.

Thickness is also a two edged sword. The thicker grit will last longer but not as much longer as it would seem. It will become hotter in operation because of the slower heat conduction. Even though CBN is a very good conductor the resin isn't. The grit density will play a part in the thermal conductivity too. Grit size also makes a difference to the temperature. The finer the grit the hotter the grind. With a CBN wheel the grinding temperature isn't as important as it is with diamond. CBN wheels can be used dry without damage as long as the heat is controlled by not cutting too agressively.

Comment

Evan,

Thank you for information on CBN width.

Bob

Comment

Working...
                      X