Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If you were a kid once again, what would you want for Christmas?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If you were a kid once again, what would you want for Christmas?

I see it mentioned often that kids aren't exposed to mechanical stuff any more.

So if you were a kid, what would you want for Christmas?

Choose from what is available today...not something that existed years ago.

Provide links and pictures if you can.

And hopefully some of us will be giving these choices to the next generation of HSMers.

One suggestion...all of us can spend time with a kid to help foster an interest in mechanical and electrical stuff.

Thanks

TMT

Hmm. A whole bunch of neodymium magnets (the right sizes of course). An assortment of brushless model motors, the good batteries, and some carbon fiber.

Hmm. Getting a kid involved in todays technology- most of them just want to play video games.

I think one of the more important things that we could encourage them to get into is environmental protection science and sustainable lifestyle science. Ok, I know that's not a Christmas present in the traditional sense- oh, here's one, though not anything new- how about a snow shovel (with instructions)

When I was a kid I had both mechanical and electrical stuff- a mechanno set, and electronic kits. What's todays equivalent- robot kits? Powered skateboards?
    Last edited by darryl; 12-11-2009, 03:22 AM.
    I seldom do anything within the scope of logical reason and calculated cost/benefit, etc- I'm following my passion-

Comment

If I were a kid again I would want parents that would give me the freedom to pursue my dreams and allow me to express myself.

Comment

Id want the shop iv finaly managed to assemble now :P
        Failing that, my dad to of at least let me use his power tools -_-;
        Play Brutal Nature, Black Moons free to play highly realistic voxel sandbox game.

Comment

I don't wan't nothn'. I'd settle for being kid again. Well, that is if you'd stretch a point and assume I'm an adult now.

Comment

Man, that's the easiest question anybody ever asked me.

I want this computer. No requirement for software. I will make my own. A computer like this was what I dreamed of. When I was in 9th grade it was my goal to understand enough about computers to be able to design and build an interactive home computer. There were no interactive computers back then, only batch processing machines.

I learned enough to design the machine but I also learned enough to realize that I was 20 years ahead of the technology needed to do it. When I finally did buy a computer in 1979 one of the first things I did was to write a graphical computer game called "Dambuster". It was widely distributed by Commodore with their "educational" fun pack. It was pretty popular and I can still find references to it on the web.

From http://www.pcmuseum.ca/details.asp?id=24
            Jeff Robbins on Saturday, July 21, 2007
            First computer ever,would have been grade 7 or 8 at Prince Charles School. Had to sign up for computer time at recess or after school. Dambuster was the greatest game ever (at the time, I suppose).
            Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

My grandmother got it almost right one year for my birthday. She got me a shoebox filled with a hammer, nails, pliers, baling wire and other mechanical sundries.
              Weston Bye - Author, The Mechatronist column, Digital Machinist magazine
              ~Practitioner of the Electromechanical Arts~

Comment

I would have wanted a bike.

Yeah, sorry for being normal.

Comment

A gun....preferably a nice S&W 4" .357 L frame.....oh and Santa make that SS.

Comment

LEGO Mindstorms:
                    Mechanical Stuff + Programming Stuff = Win

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lego_Mindstorms

Comment

A camera so I could take pictures of my friends. neighborhood
                      and all the stuff I was working on. Now I have to rely on what
                      I can remember. Charlie

Comment

Well, I had to think about the question on my way to drop my kid off at daycare.

I think that I would vote for the following, it would have to be a package deal.

1) Used non-working riding lawn mower or other motorized ridable thing
                        2) A socket set to work on the item
                        3) A small chunk of change to purchase needed parts
                        4) A remote control with servos to drive it

That would keep me busy for a while. I can imagine how cool I would be showing my friends how to mow the lawn from the shade of the porch.

I have always been interested in fixing things that have been discarded. It has given me more happiness than purchasing something brand new. Its already scratched up, so no worries there. If I break it, it was already broke; a chance to learn with no regrets. And someone always thinks its cool that you fixed something that they could never have done.

Thanks dad for my first socket set, hope I did ya proud.

rock~
                        Civil engineers build targets, Mechanical engineers build weapons.

Comment

Originally posted by rockrat

I have always been interested in fixing things that have been discarded. It has given me more happiness than purchasing something brand new. Its already scratched up, so no worries there. If I break it, it was already broke; a chance to learn with no regrets. And someone always thinks its cool that you fixed something that they could never have done.

Thanks dad for my first socket set, hope I did ya proud.

rock~
                          He is.

You did.

TMT

Comment

When I was 12 years old I got a chemistry set from my grandparents and a small Mechano set from my parents. I was in heaven.

Comment

HM

The oportunity to go back to school again and Get a University Degree as a Engineer instead of Wasting a lot of my Time Getting Two Trade Tickets. Which in todays economy havent helped too much. Old European parents were Get a Apprenticeship and move out of our House and start youre life Ideals.

Comment

Working...
                              X