A new record???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A new record???

Three threads locked in one day on HSM???
    LOL!
    Sorry George...I know yer just doing your job.
    I knew you'd lock my Muslim post...but what the hey...we're all buds here and we actually do talk about things other than makin chips.
    That's why I like my extended "family" here so much.
    Russ
    I have tools I don't even know I own...

Some days I pay attention, some days I don't...
    George

Comment

LOL! Good on ya George!

Comment

Well Russ, it's a damn sight better here than at any other machinist site bar none. George does a good job and lets us rant and I thank him for that.

One thing for sure, he sure don't belittle anyone like Don at PM. George is fair to everyone.

I have seen some hotly debated issues here where he let us ramble on for ever and no one drew a weapon or threatened to do so.

Yep, a mighty fine site this is boys.
        It's only ink and paper

Comment

Originally posted by Carld

Yep, a mighty fine site this is boys.
          That about says it all!

Comment

I love a rousing political debate, but I love an on-topic technical forum, too.

Comment

Don's fair too. Treats everyone like s--t.

Comment

Originally posted by tdmidget
                you rock dude.

geoge does a good job but must have has lips firmly planted on dons butt, no big shocker.

I dont like over moderated forums and tend to troll the hell out of them, its just too easy. when that goes on I just move on down the road. my next ID will be much worse.

Comment

Originally posted by tdmidget

Yes, even tempered, too. Grumpy all of the time. LOL.

Comment

Originally posted by tattoomike68
                    you rock dude.

geoge does a good job but must have has lips firmly planted on dons butt, no big shocker.

I dont like over moderated forums and tend to troll the hell out of them, its just too easy. when that goes on I just move on down the road. my next ID will be much worse.

Sure, I can agree that over modulation is annoying but you need some form of moderation or the original purpose of the site can get lost.

For example, the unmoderated newsgroups on Google are smply impossible to follow. I speak of rec.motorcycles.harley, alt.rec.guns, rec.crafts.metalworking and the like. There's literally anything and everything on there so they're a total waste of time.

It seems that this site stays on point with a few reasonable OT's added in that are often interesting.

No complaints here.

Comment

Id say this forum is well run. Last forum I left because the mod started getting all upity at me for saying things like 'Mild steel generaly cuts with a ****ty finish' as apparently he thought he was a sware filter bot and not a human being with thoughts and decision making abilitys.

Enable filters for the swears you want gone, and object to the things that are objectionable, But don't have a human doing a blind word filters job. thats a waste of everyones time and energy and an insult to human intelligence.

Also, censoreship in the name of 'not possabley offending some highly offendable person who just might exist but has not come forward or been proven to exist' goes to far.

That said, the threads iv seen locked today are likey best locked as they where only degradeing into flamewars and started offtopic to begin with. But maybe we could use an 'offtopic' subforum for the members of this forum to 'rant' to eachother about stuff. Not for those 3 threads mind you, but for the other OT ones.

PPS: To bad swear filters are not 'user' side. As in, options in each users 'profile', The posts could be dynamicly altered by your profile settings to include/exclude swear words when you view them. Hell, It would even let the users import there own swear list. Personaly I would leave mine disabled.
                      Last edited by Black_Moons; 12-11-2009, 10:37 PM.
                      Play Brutal Nature, Black Moons free to play highly realistic voxel sandbox game.

Comment

Originally posted by Black_Moons
                        But maybe we could use an 'offtopic' subforum for the members of this forum to 'rant' to eachother about stuff.
                        How many different fora are there on the Internet? 50,000-500,000 or even more? If you need to rant about something can't you use Google and find someplace (or maybe 100 "someplaces" depending on the topic) that caters to that particular rant and actively encourages it?

There's certainly nothing bad about some occasional light social chat that is only tenuously related to a main forum topic. But if people want to talk about religion/sports/politics/their favorite soap opera why do they insist on going to a machining or motorcycle or knitting forum and then complain that the forum owners haven't given them a place to talk about off-topic stuff? It is like going into a steakhouse and moaning about how none of the food is vegan.

You can easily get free or low cost forum software. If you want to have a forum that caters to non-metalwork discussion by metalworkers then start one and maybe you'll become one of the hot places on the Internet.

There's too few places a person can go and talk about metalwork with people who share that interest, so why clutter up the on-topic discussion with off-topic stuff, especially when the latter falls into the category of ranting?

cheers,
                        Michael

Comment

And I missed them. George you do a great job here. It a nice place to hang out.
                          But seriously guys, Leave the good threads for the weekend. :-)

Dave

Comment

Originally posted by Michael Moore
                            How many different fora are there on the Internet? 50,000-500,000 or even more? If you need to rant about something can't you use Google and find someplace (or maybe 100 "someplaces" depending on the topic) that caters to that particular rant and actively encourages it?

There's certainly nothing bad about some occasional light social chat that is only tenuously related to a main forum topic. But if people want to talk about religion/sports/politics/their favorite soap opera why do they insist on going to a machining or motorcycle or knitting forum and then complain that the forum owners haven't given them a place to talk about off-topic stuff? It is like going into a steakhouse and moaning about how none of the food is vegan.

You can easily get free or low cost forum software. If you want to have a forum that caters to non-metalwork discussion by metalworkers then start one and maybe you'll become one of the hot places on the Internet.

There's too few places a person can go and talk about metalwork with people who share that interest, so why clutter up the on-topic discussion with off-topic stuff, especially when the latter falls into the category of ranting?

cheers,
                            Michael
                            I agree - I will only add that there is a large number of off topic threads here, which seem to remain until they die off of their own accord; that is, nobody deletes them.

People shouldn't be discussing off topic crap at a machining forum, but they -are-, and it seems to make sense to have a place to put that discussion so that folks who are actually here to read about/discuss machining don't have to wade through the off topic crap to get there.

Note this isn't meant as a jab, I find some of the off topic stuff interesting, to say the least (especially the arguments and rants!).

Comment

Hahahaha - this one is going to get locked too. There seems to be a fascination with "Milacron". I've never had any personal issues with him, but I don't hang out there often; takes too long to load.

But seriously - drop it already guys. Yeah some think he's is an a**hole, some think he is just doing his job ... whatever. Let's try not to go off on him again, not for his sake but for George's sake.

It's just not very professional or respectable to keep beating a dead horse, so to speak

George Bulliss - a fine job as usual! Thanks for putting up with my antics.

Comment

Working...
                              X