Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Single point threading

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Single point threading

    Neat tool to aid single point threading.

    http://madmodder.net/index.php?topic=2323.0

    You will need to get close to the end when the testing part is done.

    .
    .

    Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.




  • #2
    I followed that thread from the beginning, Bogs does some nice work.





    .

    Comment


    • #3
      A clapper for the lathe!

      Joe

      Comment


      • #4
        I hope someday I'll have time to do projects like that. Sigh.

        Thanks for the link, John.

        Comment


        • #5
          Wow that is slick.
          I need to make or get one. With it I think even I could single point

          Comment


          • #6
            Nice but - all those photos. Why not a part and assembly drawing.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Forrest Addy
              Nice but - all those photos. Why not a part and assembly drawing.
              If I recall correctly the builder said he was working it out in his head first and drawings would follow a successful completion.

              Comment


              • #8
                dp I work the same way many times - designing by noodling around followed by a sketch. Maybe I shouldn't be so crtical. Those step by step photos are probably helpful.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Forrest Addy
                  dp I work the same way many times - designing by noodling around followed by a sketch. Maybe I shouldn't be so crtical. Those step by step photos are probably helpful.
                  Hell, I've seen you do it in person!

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    The you tube video is here because the actual forum is down at the moment.

                    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8JFdNaBD5GM

                    .
                    .

                    Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.



                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Neat, can't see the website but got to watch the video. Is the tool holder simply hinged at the back?

                      Btw, what is the foreign language that the lathe operator speaks?

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by clutch
                        Neat, can't see the website but got to watch the video. Is the tool holder simply hinged at the back?

                        Btw, what is the foreign language that the lathe operator speaks?
                        Yes it's hinged at the back and under the holder at the front is a lengthwise key that fits into a slot in the holder to locate it from wandering sideways.

                        The language is called "Down to earth middle english " , actually Cheshire speak.
                        .

                        Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.



                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by John Stevenson
                          Yes it's hinged at the back and under the holder at the front is a lengthwise key that fits into a slot in the holder to locate it from wandering sideways.

                          The language is called "Down to earth middle english " , actually Cheshire speak.

                          I'll have to listen again, I thought it sounded nearer your neck of the woods John?

                          Tim

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Ah, I was wondering what happened to Bogstandard

                            Beautiful work, but I don't really "get" the design. I understand he's trying to make a different kind of retracting threading tool, but hinging the threading bit like a shaper clapper and throwing the spindle into reverse to back-out seems like a kludge (a "bodge" for the other side of the pond).

                            Not trying to be critical, but he starts the other thread by looking at the marvelous George Thomas and Martin Cleeve retracting toolholders, and wanted to come up with a better design, but I don't think he succeeded, IMHO.
                            "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did."

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              I didn't read the thread but I did look at all the photo's and read some of his text. After some thought about it I don't like the idea of it kicking up and riding on the thread as it reverses. I would rather have it slide back and forth and that would eliminate any fear of swarf getting under the clapper as he hoped it would not happen.

                              With that said he did a very nice demo of the machining of the tool and is clear enough to make one on your own with your own dimensions.

                              I watched it last night just after John posted it and before anyone else posted to it.
                              It's only ink and paper

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X