No announcement yet.

I gonna retire - finally

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

sit around scratching and farting in your underwear! Be careful there but soon it's back to work at what ever catches your interest I hope.
    It's only ink and paper

Comment

WOW Axel

You must have been a serious asset to the company and a hell of a good friend to the owner.

My father (forced) retiered about 25 years ago. The office he built up from a 1 man operation, the owners son he introduced to the profession and now headed the largest most profitable office of the Corp, felt he didn't have purpose there any more.

He went on to consulting for a couple other firms for a few years, I always thought it was because he didn't want to give up the company car, and expense account. He was in sales and Golf was written off as an advertising/entertaining expense.

Truth was the Ol Man just like to be active, to meet new people

He is 94 now

Still gets out for Golf once a week when the weather is good. Comes up and I take him to some "drive in fishing spots" (He hates fishing but knows I love it), and spends time with the Grand kids (now college aged)

You have just begun the 7th Inning stretch

Time to explore some new interest, meet new folks, and do it at a pace you enjoy

Good luck and congrats

Comment

That's a great story and you are a lucky fellow. When I left my last job to become self-employed as a lawyer, my old boss told me not to let the door hit me on the way out.

It's nice to hear about such a rare company.
        Last edited by gnm109; 12-13-2009, 02:37 PM.

Comment

Axel,

Thanks for sharing some very special parts of your life with us. Make absolutely sure to stay connected with those wonderful folks you have shared your life with, they are among your greatest treasures.

The journey continues on a new path..........

Fred

Comment

Axel,

Your history reads a lot like mine--VN '67-'68, engineering degree on the GI bill, 35 year career, the last 30 of which were spent with a great family owned company doing work that I enjoyed. I retired a year ago, and never looked back!

Like everybody has said, stay active--both physically and mentally, and you will love it! Best part of being retired for me is that I can take my dog walking whenever I want! Second best is I get unlimited shop time to make all the little "improvements" I've thought about for years and never had the time to actually do.

Congratulations, and I hope you enjoy your retirement as much as I do! I wish you all the best.

Regards
            Bob

Comment

I retired at 56 after working for a major chemicla co. for 32 years. You will not need as much money during retirement. You will have time to shop for good deals and take advantage of the barter system.

Health is an issue with everyone. It will get worse.

I find that I save more money now than I did while working. I put two kids through college and that took some of it.

Whatever you want to do, do it. I travelled for about 5 years and got bored.
              Now I am in my shop about 6 hours a day.

Whatever you do, don't set down. Nap a little and get back to it. Jerry

Comment

That's one special company you worked for. I hope those of us still working have a story just as good when we get there, but not many companies will be that generous.

Best,

BW
                ---------------------------------------------------

http://www.cnccookbook.com/index.htm
                Try G-Wizard Machinist's Calculator for free:
                http://www.cnccookbook.com/CCGWizard.html

Comment

Axel,

You Suck!
                  Good on you. That was a great story and I wish you the best. I retired at 59 and have never regretted it. Keep busy and have fun.

Randy
                  Do yourself a favor and see if your TV carrier has America One News Network (AONN). 208 on Uverse. It is good old fashion news, unlike the networks, with no hype, bias or other BS.

Comment

What a great retirement story!!!! I retired 3 years ago and now I don't know how I ever found time to go to work. The trick is to keep busy with things that hold your interest
                    Ernie (VE7ERN)

May the wind be always at your back

Comment

Let me say this about that!

As a former Union President I had to represent a lot of duds and a lot of solid people. But the companies only do your kind of jestures for truly great human beings. Congratulations on making such a serious mark in your dealings.

Don't spend a lot of time lamenting the fact that you're gone now. Now is the time to do something you always wanted to do but couldn't because you were working. All the best to you and yours.
                      - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
                      Thank you to our families of soldiers, many of whom have given so much more then the rest of us for the Freedom we enjoy.

It is true, there is nothing free about freedom, don't be so quick to give it away.

Comment

Congrats. Enjoy it! You have earned it. Your employers were/are class acts. I tip my hat to them as well

Rob

Comment

Axel,
                          Gr8 story. I am 65 sold my business at 55 and retired because I could not find anyone like you. Where were you when I needed you. My wife and I were just discussing some of the horrible employees we had. Treated them like family and got pooped on time & time again.
                          Enjoy your retirement.
                          Best of luck.
                          ed

Comment

Congratulations. Welcome to the geezer club.
                            I retired from a similar workplace 3 years ago.
                            If you have something to do planned its a piece of cake.
                            When I'm asked what's it like I tell them "the first couple of hours is sheer hell but you get used to it.
                            One thing I haven't gotten used to is the need for a secretary with all the paperwork that used to be taken care of by others.
                            Guaranteed not to rust, bust, collect dust, bend, chip, crack or peel

Comment

Good For You Axel

Nice bunch you worked with. Not many like that around. Consulting work ? well you are retired and I think you will become busier than before with so many things. Congradulations Enjoy it Mike

Comment

Yeah that is a heartwarming story. I'm glad to hear that, and wish you the best in your retirement, fencepost.

I'm sure there are a lot of good companies still around, but they're no doubt becoming fewer all the time.

I remember a few years back, some pretty large company, I think maybe in the Boston or Mass. area, had a huge fire shortly before Christmas. The owner (family owned) immediately announced that he'd continue to pay everbody's wages, even tho the operation was totally shut down.
                                I think he continued paying til they were back up and running nearly a year later.

Another, more recent, in the Great Lakes area as I recall, when the company founder died he left every employee a large amount. A few were up in the 7 figures.

Comment

Working...
                                X