Nuts & Bolts & Thingamagigs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nuts & Bolts & Thingamagigs

Saw the guy that played the postman on "Cheers" promoting this on Huckabee tonight.
    Link: http://www.nutsandboltsfoundation.org/

interesting, well intentioned but if they really want to spur on creativity, innovation and inventiveness, a tactical nuclear strike on the patent office would be the low hanging fruit

Comment

Good on them,If we want manufacturing back in this country we will need kids that know how to build things.We will also have to train them ourselves in the private sector,the government sure isn't going to do it,they are the enemy of manufacturing.

Kinda says it all doesn't it?

I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

Those graphs make one sick. :-(
        ...lew...

Comment

That graph is for nondurable goods: clothing, toasters, etc. What does it look like for durable goods like cars, airplanes, tractors...?

Comment

The Obama administration sure isn't going to do anything about the manufacturing trades.

We have enough financial alalysts and bankers and stock brokers. If I were to go to a financial analyst who wanted to manage my money, I would first want to see his portfolio. If he can't manage his own money, what would make me think he could manage mine.

With all the trade school closures, what are kids who are not college bound supposed to do. I know that here in California when the state needs money, the first place Gov. Switchenegger goes is education, and teachers get pink slips. What about administrators. I read an article about 15 years ago that said there were (at that time) 106 administrators for every 100 teachers.

I think the NBF foundation is a wonderful thing. Keep it up John.

I have been working on a medical device for the last 5 years. and we have recently won FDA approval. When this product hits the market, I will have more money than 6 people can spend, and I plan to open a Technical school for kids who are not college bound. Even for some who are college bound to become engineers. There is nothing better than an engineer who can design it, then take it to the shop and build it.

Comment

You hit a nerve here, I Taught machine shop, math and drafting in Alberta for 30+ years and saw a steady decline in enrollments over that time. Even the kids that wanted to enter mechanical engineering were not interested, they thought we just made ashtrays and slugs for the pop machine!!! When we got a cnc machine the interest spiked for a short time but declined again. A large portion of my students have made a great living becoming machinists, machine shop foremen and machine shop owners but with the offshore migration of manufacturing there is less and less opportunity in the manufacturing field but still need skilled tradesmen in the oilfield and repair industry. The big problem is the $1.00 an hour labour rates with which we can't compete. What's the solution? I don't know. I do know there is no one around that can do what the locals bring to me for machining. I have advertised for any kids interested in learning what I do and no takers, they are not interested in learning to use their hands and minds to make things anymore. I guess I did my sharing in the school system but I'd still like to pass on all I know to some youngsters before I kick up the daisies. Peter
              The difficult done right away. the impossible takes a little time.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Seebold

I have been working on a medical device for the last 5 years. and we have recently won FDA approval. When this product hits the market, I will have more money than 6 people can spend, and I plan to open a Technical school for kids who are not college bound. Even for some who are college bound to become engineers. There is nothing better than an engineer who can design it, then take it to the shop and build it.
                Steve, more power to ya and I hope you make a mint on your device. I also hope you know a good tax lawyer cause the gubbermint is looking to fleece the rich to pay for the lazy. Good luck, really.

Patrick

Comment

Working...
                X