No announcement yet.

Vehicle Question - VIN #

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It depends on the car. Many of the OLD cars are documented by production figures. You can tell what month it was built by the "serial" portion of the VIN.

When you let us know what model and year, we may be able to help more.

Comment

Thanks for all the inputs. This is a Buick LeSabre. I now remember seeing those data sheets mentioned under the rear seat in some cars I've had...I didn't think of looking there.
      The reason I was asking the questioin is that
      I'd located a source for a used AC/Heater control head and the guy told me two different units were used (1993 Buick), depending on whether it was 'early' or 'late' 1993. So I was trying to pin it down to get the right one. ...tho the guy said they are really interchangeable. I went ahead and ordered (before seeing all of the ideas posted) and just made a guess. If it doesn't work, I was told they'll swap it out anyway.

This darn control I now have has gotten so that the AC frequently just turns on all by itself. That's not too bad in summer, but it's becomming a nuisance now when the mornings are kinda nippy.
      Lynn (Huntsville, AL)

Comment

The last six digits are a sequence number for the plant the car was made at, but unless you know the production schedule it won't give you the build date. So, the manufacturer can tell you but you can't figure it out yourself.

Try this decoder:
        http://www.analogx.com/contents/vinview.htm

Comment

"This darn control I now have has gotten so that the AC frequently just turns on all by itself. That's not too bad in summer, but it's becomming a nuisance now when the mornings are kinda nippy."

Bleed off the freon from the system and you won't get cold when it comes on. :-)

Comment

[This message has been edited by pgmrdan (edited 03-08-2004).]

Comment

Lynnl,

If you need to disable the AC simply unplug the magnetic clutch on the compressor pulley.
              Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

This isn't a case of cycling on/off for the defroster. My control has 8 buttons with an amber light on each , but illuminated only on the active button (ie. 'OFF', 'HTR', 'DEFOG', 'VENT',etc.) What's happening is that intermittently the light will extinguish (on whichever button is active) and simultaneously the AC compressor will kick in and start blowing cold air. Usually after a few minutes (variable), the light will come back on and AC goes off. This started last summer but only rarely then. Has gradually gotten more frequent.
                When I took it to Buick for diagnosis last year they quoted about 400 or $500 for a new control. 'Used' quotes from internet have ranged from $45 to about $125. I'm taking that route.

Evan, what do I look for on the compressor to disconnect to disable the magnetic clutch? ...all of the wires I find?
                I don't want that as a permanent fix, but that'd work for my winter driving enjoyment.
                Lynn (Huntsville, AL)

Comment

The drive pulley on the compressor will have a two wire harness on it. Follow it until you get to a connector. It shouldn't be far away.
                  Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

Working...
                  X