Vehicle Question - VIN #

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vehicle Question - VIN #

Does anyone know of a way to derive a vehicle's month of manufacture from the VIN #?
    Lynn (Huntsville, AL)

lynnl,
    Check the ownwers manual for the vehicle. Sometimes there is a section that tells you the breakdown of the VIN, but I don't know if it will go down to month of manufacture.
    If it is a specialty vehichle, a vehicle that has been restored quite often, the restore's guide often has a detailed breakdown of the VINs.
    If I remember correctly the MOTOR manual has some info on this too.
    Frank

Comment

Last letter in the string before the last six digits often signifies the year of manufacture, and usually coded per manufacturer. Don't know month.

Comment

[This message has been edited by pgmrdan (edited 03-08-2004).]

Comment

I don't think the VIN has month info. Have a look here:

https://personal2.progressive.com/in...cvindecode.asp
          Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

My problem is the door stickers are faded to the point of non-readable.
            But Thanks to all.
            Lynn (Huntsville, AL)

Comment

I used to look at the tail lights.. but.. not any more..

A motors repair book is handy. has grilles and other pictures in it.

Comment

lynnl,

Check out some of the plastic mouldings, they usually have a date code on their non visible (reverse sides) referring to the year and month of manufacture of that ITEM. This will undoubtedly preceed the vehicles date of manufacture ~ but usually only by a month or so.

RR

Comment

Look for 4 digit numbers on molded parts in the form of "9427". This is how integrated circuits are date coded. In the above it means 1994, 27th week.
                  Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

What kind of vehicle?

Andy

Comment

If it is a American Car (AMC,Chrysler,Ford,GM )I can tell you where to look for the casting date code on the engine.This should narrow it down to a month or so unless the engine has been changed.
                      I'll need to know the make and what size engine it has.
                      Robert.

Comment

On some older american cars, I know GM for instance, there will be a "build sheet" underneath the back seat with all the option info for THAT particular car....it was the itemized order form that the plant used to equip the car....option package-wise....the day, month, and year of assembly is on that usually.

Comment

[This message has been edited by pgmrdan (edited 03-08-2004).]

Comment

Yes.

I have bought a number of old Porsches through the years and I routinely call the manufacture customer service center with the VIN to get detailed information on the car. They are only happy to give you that information.

I would expect that this will be the same with any car from any manufacture.

In addition to the exact date of manufacture (year, month, day), you can get other information that may be helpful such as any pending recalls not yet done, dealership delivered to, vehicle options, and possibly service information.

Usually you can find a customer satisfaction toll-free phone number for the manufacture. If you can't, call the dealer. Give it a shot!

Marv

[This message has been edited by debequem (edited 10-10-2003).]

Comment

Lynn- The Haynes manuals (at auto zone, advance pep etc) have a break down of the meaning of the various VIN numbers (not every digit but years , fuel, eng etc, date of MFR. Some even told the shift it came off the floor on.

Comment

Working...
                              X