Cooking for machinists

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cooking for machinists

There was a recent post on bachelor cooking that. As a life -long bachelor I followed the thread wth interest but without posting. Since then I've spent a some time musing on the topic of single serving food prep and why machinists who because of their technical mind-set mght not be well served by mere recipes and how-to's betreft of "whys" and alternatives.

I'm a watcher of Amerca's Test Kitchen on PBS and find the set-up to preparng the dishes and the informative cut-aways to be of more interest than the actual cooking part. Food prep as science; a worthy study.

Then I ran acros this. The title alone should be an attention grabber:

http://www.cookingforengineers.com/toc.php?sort=date
    Last edited by Forrest Addy; 12-14-2009, 11:54 AM.

Get a cpl old #3 cast iron skillets,get "users" not collectors.If the bttms aren't slick as glass,clean them and then hit'M with some 220.Season well,crisco is a favorite.These are the workhorses for single servers......you eat out of them as well.BW

Comment

Thanks Forrest. I have a late developing interest in cooking but know little about it. I read this page thru and like that they explained "why" you do what you do. I will make some use of this site.

http://www.cookingforengineers.com/r...eef-Stroganoff

I once read a brief article on the building of a sandwhich. They said to think of butter as a gasket sealer to keep the bread from getting soggy, drying off the tomato and things like that.
      Last edited by Your Old Dog; 12-14-2009, 07:09 AM.
      - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
      Thank you to our families of soldiers, many of whom have given so much more then the rest of us for the Freedom we enjoy.

It is true, there is nothing free about freedom, don't be so quick to give it away.

Comment

See Alton Brown's show on the food network. The episodes where he doesn't beak out the chemical structural formulas for what's happening in the pan are few and far between. He also has a good episode on seasoning cast iron skillets.

Comment

Originally posted by ckelloug
          See Alton Brown's show on the food network. The episodes where he doesn't beak out the chemical structural formulas for what's happening in the pan are few and far between. He also has a good episode on seasoning cast iron skillets.
          This.

As an engineer, I'm much more interested in the 'why' than just the recipe itself. Learning the fundamentals lets you mix-n-match to make recipes better. If you're adventurous, you even try to make up new stuff (particularly for streamlining meals to stay flavorful, yet easy to make and clean up).

Admittedly, my go-to meal is a spinach wrap. Easy to clean up (just the knife and cutting board), and easy to eat.

Comment

YOD -

That's a good looking Beef Stroganoff recipe. I've been making something about like that for years, and I call it "Beef StrongEnough," for lack of a better name.

Only significant difference is that I use a LOT of Shiitake mushrooms. Those guys can take serious cooking and reheating without becoming gelatinous, and they have a great strong flavor. Even though we always have fresh ones in the markets around here, I go to the Asian markets to get dried Shiitakes - they have a more intense flavor.

I make up big caldrons of soup, sometimes adding to it during the following days or weeks. You can keep the stuff "fresh" by bringing the entire pot to boil every few days. I'm still eating the big turkey soup I made last month. Last night I added a blast of fresh chopped jalapenos, and it really woke up. . .
            Cheers,

Frank Ford
            HomeShopTech

Comment

Two books:

The Curious Cook: More Kitchen Science and Lore

On Food and Cooking: The Science and Lore of the Kitchen

The first one is a really good read. The second will tell you way more that you want to know, in case you are curious about why certain cheeses smell the way they do (hint: don't be).

-Pete
              I just like to make stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by Pete F
                Two books:

The Curious Cook: More Kitchen Science and Lore

On Food and Cooking: The Science and Lore of the Kitchen

The first one is a really good read. The second will tell you way more that you want to know, in case you are curious about why certain cheeses smell the way they do (hint: don't be).

-Pete
                I have the second book. For the curious, here is part of its sidebar on cheese aroma:
                An aversion to the odor of decay has the obvious biological value of steering us away from possible food poisoning, so it's no wonder than an animal food that gives off whiffs of shoes and soil and the stable takes some getting used to. Once acquired, however, the taste for partial spoilage can become a passion, an embrace of the earthy side of life that expresses itself best in paradoxes. ... the Surrealist poet Leon-Paul Fargue is said to have honored Camembert cheese with the title les pieds de Dieu -- the feet of God.

[edit] We're not talking about Velveeta here.
                Last edited by aostling; 12-14-2009, 11:36 AM.
                Allan Ostling

Phoenix, Arizona

Comment

Originally posted by aostling
                  I have the second book. For the curious, here is part of its sidebar on cheese aroma:
                  An aversion to the odor of decay has the obvious biological value of steering us away from possible food poisoning, so it's no wonder than an animal food that gives off whiffs of shoes and soil and the stable takes some getting used to. Once acquired, however, the taste for partial spoilage can become a passion, an embrace of the earthy side of life that expresses itself best in paradoxes. ... the Surrealist poet Leon-Paul Fargue is said to have honored Camembert cheese with the title les pieds de Dieu -- the feet of God.

[edit] We're not talking about Velveeta here.
                  Quite so, but, one would wonder about the aroma of Limburger cheese. Where can that smell possibly come from on a food that has not yet been digested and eliminated.

Comment

Originally posted by HSS
                    Quite so, but, one would wonder about the aroma of Limburger cheese. Where can that smell possibly come from on a food that has not yet been digested and eliminated.
                    I'll let you know. After Christmas in Oslo I will be traveling in Northern Germany, Luxembourg, and Belgium, i.e. in the old Duchy of Limburg. I won't rent a car, but will go from town to town as the mood strikes, by train I guess.

I have no German, but am trying to master how to say excuse me (entschuldigen Sie!) prior to trying my questions in the Queen's English. They may not understand this in the towns.

I'll probably subsist on street food, and will look for markets selling bread and cheese. There could be dozens of varieties I've never heard of before.
                    Allan Ostling

Phoenix, Arizona

Comment

I'm not comfortable with the abreviated form "Entschuldigen Sie" as it can be interpreted to mean "Excuse You". The complete phrase is "Entschuldigen Sie mich, bitte", literally, "Excuse You me please." The You is in Formal form and "mich" is informal showing your contrition.

Among friends or in a theatre you can get by with simply "Entschuldigen, bitte"

Another useful term is the semi slang form of "Watch Out! or Wake up!" Which is " Pass Auf!!". It will not be mistaken for anything else and is easy to say. It's what you would say if somebody was about to step in front of an oncoming bus.
                      Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

aostling, I would think bread, cheese and wine a good meal and then finish it off with a good German beer.
                        It's only ink and paper

Comment

Originally posted by Evan
                          Among friends or in a theatre you can get by with simply "Entschuldigen, bitte"
                          Evan,

I'll adopt your suggestion, which sounds more sensible. I guess it is pronounced without the fervor that those phrases punctuated with an exclamation mark require. I didn't see how I could pull that off.

Who was that comedian from about 25 years ago who was noted for his "well excuuuuuuuse me!
                          Allan Ostling

Phoenix, Arizona

Comment

Another tip for pronouncing German: All letters make a sound with the only exception being "h" when within the body of the word. At either end it is sounded.

This especially includes a final "e" which is almost always silent in English and is always voiced as a short e in German. There are a very few loan words that don't follow the rules but otherwise the rules in German have virtually no exceptions. R's are rolled, often enough to spit on your surroundings. A good word to practice rolling R's is the name Bruce.
                            Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

Originally posted by aostling
                              Who was that comedian from about 25 years ago who was noted for his "well excuuuuuuuse me!
                              Steve Martin.

-Pete
                              I just like to make stuff.

Comment

Working...
                              X