Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is pencil rod?

[This message has been edited by pgmrdan (edited 03-19-2004).]

It's steel bar stock in 1/4" to 3/8" diameter. Comes in 20' lengths. Cheap like dirt.
    Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

A quick search on Yahoo yielded several hits for "pencil rod". Looks like it is a mild steel product available in several diameters as straight rods or as coils for a variety of uses in concrete form work and gardening.
      Any products mentioned in my posts have been endorsed by their manufacturer.

Comment

[This message has been edited by pgmrdan (edited 03-19-2004).]

Comment

Pencil rod for reinforcing is measured by the root diameter between the ribs,it is also sorted by the number of 1/8"s in diameter-
          3/8=#3
          1/2=#4
          5/8=#5 and so on,how ever much you are tempted do not use bolt cutters to cut it,you will ruin the jaws,always abrasive saw or torch cut.Don't depend on it for structural work as the carbon content is unpredictable,if you weld it use low hydrogen rod.

[This message has been edited by wierdscience (edited 10-13-2003).]

[This message has been edited by wierdscience (edited 10-13-2003).]
          I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

Weird, I'm confused. Why would cutting that stuff ruin the jaws of bolt cutters? Isn't it mild steel?

Comment

Just like an oreo... hard on the outside, soft on the inside.

Comment

The common hardwarestore/lumberyard variety is just about the lowest form that steel takes,no controls over carbon to speak of,so one piece will be but soft and the next piece will have that half melted chunk of truck differential in it,many people have tried bolt cutters and usually one or two cuts takes big chunks out of the jaws.

I've seen people build bar joists out of it,but not me,to iffy,besides common hot rolled round bar ain't much more money,$3.21 for #4 rebar-vs-$3.61 for hot rolled,no brainer!
                I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

Working...
                X