ATTN: Evan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ATTN: Evan

My wife has a micro film reader and a glass plate the film runs across has some scratches in it. What can I use to polish the scratches out with? It would be about like polishing a mirror for a telescope except it's flat.
    It's only ink and paper

How about just cutting a new peice of glass to fit?
    Cutting THIN glass is easy, its when its 1/2" thick that its a pain in the ass.
    *lifts up a sheet of 1/2" thick glass, cut reasonabley ok for 4" and then the crack wanders off*

$2 glass cutters really do work as long as you stick to thin glass
    Play Brutal Nature, Black Moons free to play highly realistic voxel sandbox game.

Comment

If the scratches are so deep to be annoying the new glass is the easiest. If they are really fine a product called Glass Wax will polish them out. It contains cerium oxide which is the final stage polish for mirrors and lenses.
      Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

It has a bevel on one edge that I am not fond of trying to duplicate. What compound could I use to hand lap it with? I need something a little more coarse and then finish with the fine compound.
        Last edited by Carld; 12-16-2009, 06:43 PM.
        It's only ink and paper

Comment

The bevel is trivial to create. Just wet sand it on a belt sander.

Comment

Hmm, well, I may try it then.
            It's only ink and paper

Comment

If you end up going with new single strength glass, keep in mind that most craft stores sell an acid etch for decorating glass. It's afordable and will leave a very fine texture on your glass similar to what you might have now. The trick is to get 1 very even coat on so it builds at the same strength.

http://www.ehow.com/how_2323727_acid-etch-glass.html
              Last edited by Your Old Dog; 12-16-2009, 06:49 PM.
              - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
              Thank you to our families of soldiers, many of whom have given so much more then the rest of us for the Freedom we enjoy.

It is true, there is nothing free about freedom, don't be so quick to give it away.

Comment

Actually it's not etched or frosted. It's clear and the micro film lays on it and the magnifier head is on the other side.

The glass plate is about 1/4" thick and has a 45 deg bevel about 1/8" wide.

Bugger, just looked inside the machine and the lamp has a bulge in the envelope and a tinted intermediate plate is shattered. I guess the heat got to it. If she or I can't find parts, and it's pretty old, she will have to look for a good used one.

The scratches on the plate are not as much of a problem now.
                It's only ink and paper

Comment

What type lamp is it? I may have a replacement. The tinted plate is a "hot mirror" and can be bought from Edmond optical.

Here are links to hot mirrors. You need the zero angle of incidence type.

http://www.edmundoptics.com/onlineca...productID=1492

http://www.edmundoptics.com/onlineca...productID=3150
                  Last edited by Evan; 12-16-2009, 11:10 PM.

Comment

Evan, it's a Recordak motormatic reader model MPG 3221. It may have been made in 1979 or later. She has a microfiche manual and parts list. The bulb is a Sylvania DAH 120v 500w. Hmm, she said it's been modified to use a DCY17 150w bulb and she had the DAH bulb in it and that may have been an issue.

Do you know where we can get parts for it? The glass plate that broke is called a heat absorbing lens.
                    Last edited by Carld; 12-16-2009, 11:57 PM.
                    It's only ink and paper

Comment

Is the bulb a 4 pin bulb about an inch in diameter and about 4 inches long overall? I have a Sylvania 300 watt bulb that size. I'll have to look at the number though. I may have another closer to 150. If you give me the dimensions and pin layout I can check.

The hot mirrors will do the job but Edmond does have regular commercial heat absorbing glass for projectors. It's a lot cheaper than the hot mirrors. If the plate that is cracked is flat on both sides then a similar sized plate of HAG is all you need. The purpose of the HAG is to prevent melting the film.

The reason I suggested the hot mirrors is because that is what you have now based on the tint.

Comment

It's a four pin base the globe is about 1 1/2" dia x 3 long. Hold off for now because she found the web site of the guy she bought some parts from years ago and he says he still has parts for that model. We'll see what he has and I hope he has what we need.
                        It's only ink and paper

Comment

Working...
                        X