Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• another photo of steam engine

Hi guys, Iam still practicing how to send these illustrations of my engine
    Once i master this lark L.O.L. You will have no peace (This shows port face of engine cylinder

Good luck with your project Mac. I look forward to seeing more pics as I am just now developing an interest in making some of these small engines.
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Thank you to our families of soldiers, many of whom have given so much more then the rest of us for the Freedom we enjoy.

It is true, there is nothing free about freedom, don't be so quick to give it away.

Comment

Hi Guys,
      Thanks for kind responces, I was expecting to get totally flamed!, However as i hopefully get some time to myself to do a bit more i will follow up with next stages, My pal john came down tonight & we managed, by i think more good luck than good guidance to get results, So now for the next part of the excercise, "Will my one solitary brain cell remember how to negotiate the minefield of photobucket"

The engine is a Stuart Turner No 10v, i have had the castings lying by me for some time, &started building about 6 months ago, but time has been scarce, The cylinder port face, is the finish straight of the shaper,using a broad tool, The shaper used was a little Adept No 2, Which some time ago, was illustrated on the site for me, by the late Jay Hahn, which was i thought at the time a most kind obligement, I wish he could have managed over to the U.K. as he was most keen to meet me
      Back to the cylinder block,-- Before i start the fitting i will scrape in the port face, The finish at the moment is good, But i believe in finishing these faces by scraping, as one gets a nicer running engine.
      The crankshaft is5/16" dia, i have milled a keyway for the flywheel, and will later mill one on the other side for the eccentric,

Comment

Looks Nice

OM,

I look foward to many more posts from you.

Is it possibel to include something as a scale
        of size...just a referance?

Perhaps a quarter, dime or many be a small
        machinists 6" ruler.

Regards

Comment

Oilmac---Good Stuff!!! I'm glad to see another forum member building small air/steam engines.---Brian
          Brian Rupnow
          Design engineer
          Barrie, Ontario, Canada

Comment

It looks good so far oil mac. I am currently building a locally made set of castings that are based on the Stuart No. 4 engine. It is basically the same as the No. 10, but about twice the size.
            Jim H.

Comment

David,

I built a Stuart 10H about 40 years ago, which is the horizontal version of this engine. From memory, it's 3/4" bore and stroke, which'll give you an idea of the overall size.

I remember wrecking the crankshaft forging when machining the crankpin, and then making a new one out of a Morris Minor halfshaft.

Nice little engines!

Ian
              All of the gear, no idea...

Comment

photobucket problems- it started off good for me, but has gotten kludgy, so on a recommendation from someone on this forum, I tried the Glacern site- ( click the link on this page at the top, GMT) Go to resources, free photo upload. Follow directions, copy the link once your photo has loaded, then come back here and click the yellow square 'insert image', paste your link. It's kind of like eating apple pie instead of controlling a nuclear reactor. Make sure your images are under 200k before uploading them. I can do that with a full quality jpg at 480x360, or you can lessen the quality of the jpg with a suitable program and post it larger.
                I seldom do anything within the scope of logical reason and calculated cost/benefit, etc- I'm following my passion-

Comment

Dave, it will finish up to be only about 6 inches tall.

Al

Comment

Working...
                  X