Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dave masquerades as a 'Machinist'

Evening all,
    Decided I should get on and actually make some Christmas presents.
    So I make a couple of classic machinists captive nuts:

I just knocked out the brass one to get a feel for it, not bad, but not finished well enough, that one has become the 'office fiddly toy', its 5/16 UNF.

The blacked one is from cold rolled, hence the crappy finish on the threads (M12).
    I polished the turned bits up and then thought Id black it to contrast nicely with the nut, and also to give it a bit of corrosion protection.
    Of course as I was blacking the first half the thought occured to me:
    'What if the blacks dont match! the join will stand out like a standy outy thing at a sit in!'
    Fortunately the blacking has come out good, and the match is about perfect

Dave
    Just south of Sudspumpwater UK

Very nice. Prehaps someday my threading will look as good as that... for now I settle for "phew it works."
    This product has been determined by the state of California to cause permanent irreversible death. This statement may or may not be recognized as valid by all states.
    Heirs of an old war/that's what we've become Inheriting troubles I'm mentally numb
    Plastic Operators Dot Com

Comment

Looks good.

I've never made any, but I've always thought it would add to the mystique to use an old or cheap threading die instead of the nut.

It could be introduced with a self-deprecating remark, e.g. "...gosh, I must've gone wrong somewhere threading this thing."
      Lynn (Huntsville, AL)

Comment

Nice Idea, Might try that one on the blokes at work....
        Hmm, split die might make it more interesting.... 'I just opened it up an threaded that bit'

Dave
        Just south of Sudspumpwater UK

Comment

Ha!

"I need 400 of these by noon, go ask Chuck for the reverse-ratcheting inverse outside threading die."
          This product has been determined by the state of California to cause permanent irreversible death. This statement may or may not be recognized as valid by all states.
          Heirs of an old war/that's what we've become Inheriting troubles I'm mentally numb
          Plastic Operators Dot Com

Comment

Here's an idea for you regarding captive nuts, 5/8-18 thread, 3/8-24 connecting thread. The required "thread project" for my high school and college courses.
            CCBW, MAH

Comment

Working...
            X