Is Tap Magic a "green" product?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is Tap Magic a "green" product?

No, that's not what I mean... I'm currently using Tap Magic "Pro-Tap" and I'm getting green (corrosion?) mould on everything. Brass, the QC tool post, some tooling, and even the sling line behind the lathe. The wash pot I use (mineral spirits) is definitely tainted green. I can only trace this to the use of this product, before I was using the other Tap Magic, the one that smells strong.

Has anyone else experienced this?

Thank you,

Gary
    Gary

Appearance is Everything...

Check the label for Chlorine based solvents.I used to use the stuff,but quit since sulpher based threading oil does the same job for 1/10th the price.
    I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

Checked,

"This product does not contain Thriclor 1-1-1, Sulfur, Chlorine or Silicon"

I'll change out next time I order anyways, still entertaining theories or conjecture. Thanks,
      Gary
      Gary

Comment

I have a can for aluminum and a can for steel and have had them for many years. I seldom use them but I have never had the problem you describe.
        It's only ink and paper

Comment

First thing that comes to my mind when you say green is copper.
          Any corroding pipes driping water/condensation above your lathe?
          I guess pure cutting oils could go rancid.. those diluted ones do.
          Try pouring out a sample of the stuff from the bottle onto some metals and see if anything happens in a few days... If the bottle is 'infected' with something id throw it out, unless your willing to cook it or something. (suspend bottle into boiling water? idealy outside on an electric hotplate on a long extention cord)
          Not sure what you'd use to kill the stuff off around your lathe if its mold.
          Play Brutal Nature, Black Moons free to play highly realistic voxel sandbox game.

Comment

Check your shop for Chinese drywall !

OK, I'll go back to work now
            The early bird may get the worm but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Comment

It turns the paint on a 1965 SouthBend to mush.
              - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
              Thank you to our families of soldiers, many of whom have given so much more then the rest of us for the Freedom we enjoy.

It is true, there is nothing free about freedom, don't be so quick to give it away.

Comment

I heard they were making a new Tap Magic that is less toxic.

I can sense when a chemical is getting me "high".
                Paint with Toluene or lacquer thinner are much worse than Tap Magic.
                Tap Magic reminds me of Naphtha lighter fluid.

http://www.tapmagic.com/MSDS_TMO.htm
                There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
                The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps

Comment

I'm gonna try isolating the problem, starting with new tupperwares for the "parts washer"

Whatever it is, it seems it most affects brass.

Gary
                  Gary

Comment

Working...
                  X