Old Spray cans?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Old Spray cans?

Before I retired in 2003 I stocked up on several things packaged in spray cans. I still have half a case or so of LPS3. I started to use some recently and it sprayed a little and quit. I don't know it the tube stopped up or the propellant leaked out. My first thoughts are that this stuff should not cause tube stoppage like paint does. Is there a good way to determine if there is any propellant left in the can. Can the material be salvaged and painted on with a brush. If memory serves me correctly LPS used to sell #3 in gallon cans. Years ago a friend tried to salvage some black spray paint and ended up with a black face and a black stripe down the side of his wifes's new white car. I don't want to make that sort of mistake, so any insight into a solution would be appreciated.
    Byron Boucher
    Burnet, TX

I always wanted to make spray cans refillable, even if it was canned air for cleaning computer parts.

Comment

The propellant often gradually leaks out, while still leaving enough pressure in the can to be dangerous. Some folks have had good luck putting the can at 50 paces and putting a .22 cal. bullet through the top end of the can. Open the can up as needed thereafter.

Comment

Byron, Don't know if this would work for your LPS3. Had some spray can grease given me because it would plug up and not spray. Put can in an ultra-sound cleaner that was filled with hot water and ultra sounded it for a forgot now how long a time. It worked good after that treatment.

Comment

I have often wondered the same thing. I recall reading in a previous post about having a hardware store mix paint and put it in an aerosol can for you.

It seems like if the product is still in the can but the pressure is gone, it should be a fairly easy thing to make an adapter to re-pressurize the cans with a compressor.

Turn the regulator down to 5 or 10 psi and try it.

I wouldn't mess with it for a quarter can of something that gets used once a year. But if I had several full cans, I might give it a try.

Brian
          OPEN EYES, OPEN EARS, OPEN MIND

THINK HARDER

BETTER TO HAVE TOOLS YOU DON'T NEED THAN TO NEED TOOLS YOU DON'T HAVE

MY NAME IS BRIAN AND I AM A TOOLOHOLIC

Comment

Many years ago, I acquired an "isle" of spray cans and various chemicals at a foreclosure auction of an auto parts store. Over time, the spray cans leaked down even though they were "unused".

I removed the plastic nozzle, then pressed down on the center opening to make sure, as well as I could, that there was no pressure left. I then VERY carefully tapped a dent with a center punch in the top section of the can. Took a small drill, a la 1/8" or so, mounted in a hand drill, and with the drill facing AWAY, slowly drilled into the can. Once that is done, with no explosive surprises, I then drilled 1/4". Enough to pour out the contents.

Have done about 6 or so with no problems yet. Stuff is just too expensive to just toss in the trash.
            Wayne

Comment

For a flat can, depress valve on can and apply compressed air blowgun to nozzle, then give a puff-recharge at the pressure of your choice.
              Take care, Mike

Comment

I always wanted to make spray cans refillable, even if it was canned air for cleaning computer parts.

Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

Careful Evan - in the US CO2 is now a poisonous gas. Won't be long before Canada falls in place - we can't have all that Canadian CO2 drifting into our country, you know.

Comment

Iv seen refillable spraycans for sale for like $50, I like evans more. Is that brazed on there?
                    What did you use for paint removal?
                    Play Brutal Nature, Black Moons free to play highly realistic voxel sandbox game.

Comment

I bought a couple of refillable cans from Harbor Freight a number of years ago but have not seen them in their adds recently.
                      GHop

Comment

I've had some luck 'backfilling' spray cans with brake clean. It hasn't been a case of propellant leaking out- more a case of the nozzle clogging. I just did whatever it took to feed the brake clean into the other can, using the tube on the brake clean can. You can often pull the nozzle out and replace it with one that has the fitting for a tube. A particularly stubborn spray glue can responded to this quite well. Your results could easily be different-

It could be that a propane cylinder could be used to re-pressurize a dead can- of course be aware that it'sflammable. That may not be any different than what the can was originally. No liability assumed on my part for what you do-
                        I seldom do anything within the scope of logical reason and calculated cost/benefit, etc- I'm following my passion-

Comment

The fitting is silver soldered using silver bearing solder. I turned a flange on the fitting to give a good strong bond. Those "canned aire" cans are stronger than the average can as you may note by looking at the way the metal is formed on the top end. Any regular spray can has to be able to take 300 psi but I would guess that this can is probably double that because of the refrigerant gas that is used as the "air".

Paint removal=wire wheel
                          Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

I've always had good luck with using compressed air and a blow gun. The only time it was an issue was a can a spray adhesive. It worked fine the first time.... after that the air inside the can allowed the glue to get too tacky to spray.

Harbor Freight had the refillable cans earlier this year for $9.99. When I ordered some more a couple of months back (on sale for $5.99 IIRC), I got the dreaded postcard saying they refunded my money because they were not currently available. Hopefully they'll bring them back at some point because they sure are handy.
                            The early bird may get the worm but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Comment

It's amazing what pressures common items can take. There are plenty of hobbyists making water rockets out of empty 2 liter fizzy drinks bottles and brass plumbing fittings, and they regularly run them at 120 - 140 psi.

No idea what a steel aerosol can would fail at - anyone out there fancy finding out (with a hydraulic pump, preferably)?

Ian
                              All of the gear, no idea...

Comment

Working...
                              X