So where has Liger been?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So where has Liger been?

...injection molding. At least I think it was injection molding. Mostly injection molding anyway... I also had to help out with a cranky-ass IMPCO extrusion-blowmolder older than I am.

My reward for all this hard work is a cobbled together Bridgeport BOSS with some kind of tool-changer and an after-market control as well as a 110 ton Milicron ACT injection molding press nobody loved. That's being moved into my neighbor's barn for the time being I have to finalize the rentification of a building across town.

Friend of mine has a little company in Newark way back up in the woods makes specialized hunting products for someone under contract... he has a dozen Smithy CNC mills and lathes and ten really really old molders as well as a big-ass assembly department. Not permitted to discuss it further, but it was an absolute BLAST working there with him. Got six "new" products off the ground molding-wise and now that they are up and running he should be able to keep them going with an occasional phone-call to Tech Support (me).

The ACT press I scored is servo-driven. Problem is the rear end (injector) tends to snap screws due to... an issue. I THINK I know how to fix it if I don't a friend from another molding company can... I ran a very similar press years ago that developed this issue. It's alignment related, something to do with the injection stroke and the way this vintage ACT had trouble keeping the thrust plate even during a stroke.

Wife approves of this as it didn't cost a penny other than the renting of the building... And she's paying most of that. Logic being "get those things out of my basement? HELL YEAH!"

So what does this mean? CNC questions. Lots of them. You have been warned.
    This product has been determined by the state of California to cause permanent irreversible death. This statement may or may not be recognized as valid by all states.
    Heirs of an old war/that's what we've become Inheriting troubles I'm mentally numb
    Plastic Operators Dot Com

Score
    Free tools are usually the best

Dave
    Just south of Sudspumpwater UK

Comment

Especially a free midsize injection molding machine. The CNC mill looks to be... um... user-unfriendly. I have delt with BOSS series mills before and Franken Mills and FrankenBoss mills... and ya know I might just pass this on to someone else... Prehaps in trade for a resin-dryer or Mokon.

My dream of making bootleg Lego-like building blocks is one step closer to reality.
      This product has been determined by the state of California to cause permanent irreversible death. This statement may or may not be recognized as valid by all states.
      Heirs of an old war/that's what we've become Inheriting troubles I'm mentally numb

Comment

Originally posted by Liger Zero
        My dream of making bootleg Lego-like building blocks is one step closer to reality.
        Make those Lego knockoffs out of aluminum tooling plate with standard bores to accept linear bearings and ballscrews,and gear reducers and such and you will have the latest futuristic Swedish looking uber-expensive lego-block automation stsems in a UPS box on the market.
        I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

After poking the BOSS a bit I can see it's a Boss 4 under all this stuff... and it's driven by a Centroid box. No idea about the tool changer because I can't get to that side of the machine.

Comment

Working...
          X