My new how do I use it tool.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My new how do I use it tool.

Just got this today, know nothing about using it and have hopes that some of you here may have some idea on it's precise use.
    The digital read out is single axis "X"
    The model is BWA PD OD which is making me think it is for measuring Pitch Diameter and OD of gears ????.
    The little probes that enter the gear teeth are round and are numbered.

The gold plate under the name Logo is solid gold, OK gold anodized but one nice piece of 1" machined aluminum plate that just may find itself on my mill for a universal fixture plate.

The stand is very HD and on wheels.
    It's made in Ohio so you know it's got to be good.

Going to call the factory for manual, but some manufacturers get real indifferent to inquires on how their equipment is used second hand, partially understandable.

Property of Ford Motor Company might indicate a purpose made gage. It looks like iy may be for inspection of splines or spline fit.

At least it might yield a nice DRO of some sort.
    Jim H.

Comment

Jim,
      My thought as well, could make a nice Z axes DRO on my manual mill as it already has the X,Y, the remainder could also be used as a center.

It says on a placard "Exact Gear Measurement"
      Some splines, like the one pictured are involute like gears aren't they ?

Ken

Comment

Originally posted by Ken_Shea
        It says on a placard "Exact Gear Measurement"
        Some splines, like the one pictured are involute like gears aren't they ?
        It looks like it's designed to measure the root circle of a gear, which is also the depth of the spline for an involute (automotive) spline.

I can't tell from your picture if that's an involute spline or just a plain serrated (straight-sided) spline. Involute splines have curved (involute) teeth.
        "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did."

Comment

That spline shown is an involute, my guess some sort of test piece as one end is heat treated and the other isn't.

Comment

Russ (BadDog) posted a picture of a commercial gear testing fixture he nabbed for a pittance -- just from vague memory, there were two spindles, one for a master gear, and the other for the device under test. There was a dial test indicator on a swing arm that compared the offset of a stylus on the master gear differentially to the gear being tested.

At the very least, yours looks like it has a gauge head that can be re-purposed.
            "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did."

Comment

Nice find. I'm not sure I would want to part it out since it might come in handy for measuring items other than gears. It's fun to repurpose tools ... or even odd things into tools.

It's made in Ohio so you know it's got to be good.
              That's funny ... reminds me of "Acme, a name you can trust" and Looney Tunes
              "Work hard. Tell everyone everything you know. Close a deal with a handshake. Have fun!"

-- Harold "Doc" Edgerton

Comment

Originally posted by RKW
                Nice find. I'm not sure I would want to part it out since it might come in handy for measuring items other than gears. It's fun to repurpose tools ... or even odd things into tools.

That's funny ... reminds me of "Acme, a name you can trust" and Looney Tunes

Ha-Ha, yeah, it does have that ring to it.

I agree, the more I look at this thing the more ways I see it being able to be used.

Would be great to measure OAL of an object up to about 13", the DRO read right down to .0001 which is where I normally work

Comment

Working...
                X