Bridgeport Quill Lock?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bridgeport Quill Lock?

Removing tools the Quill lock doesn't hold with the application of a new Kurt automatic drawbar. When you try to remove a tool holder the quill creeps down. I recently tried just holding the handle up. The holder was ejected so quickly that it fell on the Vice and broke a couple of the cutting tips on a good end mill. What could I do other than putting something soft for the tool to drop into? I can't hold the handle up catch the ejected holder and operate the controls.
    Byron Boucher
    Burnet, TX

a soft loveing velvet padded box for your endmills to fall into.. I think I should make one myself. sometimes I forget to catch endmills when I hit on the drawbar to loosen the collet and the endmill pops right out.

Only problem is when your girlfriend sees it, she may freak out, And continue to freak out worse when you tell her no you did'nt buy her a ring, its just to catch endmills.
    Play Brutal Nature, Black Moons free to play highly realistic voxel sandbox game.

Comment

I ruined a nice 1" puntam end mill when it fell from the collett - while one hand was on the power drawbar switch and the other was on the quill handle. Boy did that get me mad. One cutting edge hit right on the vise and broke off.

Now I put the quill up and then raise an educated nut up to keep the quill from moving down while using the power draw bar. It works perfectly.

If you don't have an educated nut the quick springloaded stops might work - but I have not tried.

Comment

raise an educated nut?? I don't have time to have children just to fix my milling problems.
        Play Brutal Nature, Black Moons free to play highly realistic voxel sandbox game.

Comment

GDA thanks for that reply. Some time back I bought one of those to go on a drill press that turned out to have a different thread. Now if I can just remember where I put it.
          Byron Boucher
          Burnet, TX

Comment

I would suggest a "catcher" to mount on the spindle or the quill.

Or can you tone down the "ejectage"?

It seems like one might put a small rubber or plastic pellet in a hole in the collet (this could also replace the stupid R8 drive pin that everybody complains about) which would hold it a bit even when releasing. One in the taper would make it easier to crank the drawbar down (manual drawbar)
            Last edited by Teenage_Machinist; 12-19-2009, 02:18 AM.

Comment

Well when you use the 3/4 wrench to tap the end of the draw bar
              with your right hand you have the left free to catch the cutter. :-)
              ...lew...

Comment

A quill stop such as this....

http://www.penntoolco.com/catalog/pr...ategoryID=5827

Comment

Working...
                X