Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What gasket material for gear box on HF bandsaw?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What gasket material for gear box on HF bandsaw?

I've just drained and cleaned up a gear box on my HF band saw.
    The gasket is deformed and needs to be replaced. What gasket material should I use?

Thanks

cardboard (Not corrugated), heavy paper (shopping bag), cork, nitrile rubber and so on. Lots of things, there is no pressure.

Comment

Originally posted by macona
      cardboard (Not corrugated), heavy paper (shopping bag), cork, nitrile rubber and so on. Lots of things, there is no pressure.
      . . . . RTV sealant, silicone (blue glue), gasket paper

Comment

I, after having just rebuilt another automatic trans-axle with zero leaks or weeps, will have to go with the RTV sealant as well. Just follow the directions on the tube and you can't go wrong.
        I was brought up with gaskets, but the more I use this product, for it's intended application, the more I like it. Haven't had a leak with it yet. It sure has cut down on my gasket making material.
        Home, down in the valley behind the Red Angus
        Bad Decisions Make Good Stories​

Comment

Originally posted by Willy
          I, after having just rebuilt another automatic trans-axle with zero leaks or weeps, will have to go with the RTV sealant as well. Just follow the directions on the tube and you can't go wrong.
          I was brought up with gaskets, but the more I use this product, for it's intended application, the more I like it. Haven't had a leak with it yet. It sure has cut down on my gasket making material.
          Unless youre doing vane type vacuum pumps, it is pretty forgiving.
          :-)
          ...lew...

Comment

Make sure the gasket isn't a "Spacer" for parts of the gearbox before squeezing a plastic goo on instead of a conventional one.

Regards Ian.
            You might not like what I say,but that doesn't mean I'm wrong.

Comment

Note I stipulated "for it's intended application".
              I in no way said that it was a cure all for everything that needs a gasket.
              There will always be application specific requirements where a ridged gasket should not be substituted with an RTV product.

As usual if someone has to explain every nuance of a procedure you are probably out of your element in the first place!

Comment

My comment wasn't a slight on you Willy, a "repair" to a machine rebuild on another forum was nearly re-buggered due to the ommision of a spacer gasket by a previous "Mechanic". Sometimes it's not needed due to modern sealants but can easily catch the unwary.

Regards Ian.

Comment

Gasket Material

AlexK...just go down to the autoparts store and get some of that waxy looking gasket material. It comes in several thicknesses and is pretty cheap. Lay it over the gearbox casing and rub the edges to make a mark on the material to cut by. Works well.
                  Jim (KB4IVH)

Only fools abuse their tools.

Comment

"AlexK...just go down to the autoparts store and get some of that waxy looking gasket material. It comes in several thicknesses and is pretty cheap. Lay it over the gearbox casing and rub the edges to make a mark on the material to cut by. Works well."

Since the gearbox is cast, lay the gasket paper out on the box and then take the peen end of a ball- peen hammer and tap along the edges. If the edges are sharp they will cut the paper as you are hammering your way around. Whack the holes a good lick or two, that'll make it easy to use a hole punch to knock 'em out.

Comment

Originally posted by Circlip
                      My comment wasn't a slight on you Willy, a "repair" to a machine rebuild on another forum was nearly re-buggered due to the ommision of a spacer gasket by a previous "Mechanic". Sometimes it's not needed due to modern sealants but can easily catch the unwary.

Regards Ian.
                      Ian, my panties weren't bunched by your statement either.

Nor was my comment...
                      As usual if someone has to explain every nuance of a procedure you are probably out of your element in the first place!
                      aimed at anyone in particular.

Just a statement aimed at people in general.
                      You and I might realize for example, that it takes a .005 gasket on an oil pump end plate in order for the pump gears to maintain proper end clearance, but others are oblivious to this.

I always find it so hard to imply inflection in these discussions, especially with my limited command of the English language.

Comment

Haven't seen any .005mm thick gasket material lately

Regards Ian

Comment

Working...
                        X