Norwegian toilet seats

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Norwegian toilet seats

I'm in Oslo, for a lutefisk Christmas with my brother and his family. Today I toured the Technical Museum, which has a good range of exhibits, including several vintage cars. I asked the attendent if I could see the Troll, the only car manufactured in Norway, but it had been taken off display. There was a therumin available for playing, so I tried making the eerie sounds from those 1950s B-grade sci-fi movies.

In terms of technology, Norway leads the world in many things for the home. I'm impressed with the toilet seats in my brother's new bathroom. The hinges incorporate dampers, so when a man is through, he merely flicks the seat and lid with a finger, and it floats down to a soft landing without making any noise. There is no excuse for leaving the toilet seat up in this country.

Can you buy these in North America too? -- if not, it might make a good HSM project if you want to get in some points with the ladies in the house.
    Allan Ostling

Had them over here for years Allan, so if you can't get one over there (I'm sure you can) you can always get one from the UK.

Comment

My wife and I have agreed, since if I always put the seat down she has nothing to move and gets no exercise. Since we share the potty and she uses it more than I we each put the seat up and down as needed thereby not wearing out the hinges more than needed.

There is nothing that pisses, I guess that is a good analogy here, me off more than thinking that men have to put the seat down so women don't have to exert themselves more than this.

So, have the feminazis removed your balls?
      It's only ink and paper

Comment

Well stated Carld, The incentive in my house is for them to put the seat back up or I'll pee on it --- esp. if im drinking, then again, maybe that's why im batching it right now - but then again - that's my point

Comment

ROFLMAO, I guess we have it figured right huh?
          It's only ink and paper

Comment

I put down the seat AND the lid.

Because if *I* have to operate the seat, then *EVERYONE* has to operate the seat.

Comment

Originally posted by Carld
              So, have the feminazis removed your balls?
              That was my first thought on the post If you hosed the seat off a couple of times I think you'll find they'd rather you left it up to drain.
              - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
              Thank you to our families of soldiers, many of whom have given so much more then the rest of us for the Freedom we enjoy.

It is true, there is nothing free about freedom, don't be so quick to give it away.

Comment

What happened to "look before you sit?"

Comment

Those kind of seats came standard on our "Toto" toilets.

Comment

Originally posted by aostling
                    Can you buy these in North America too?
                    Yep, Bemis Whisper Close. (I went in and checked) We got one at Target.
                    Weston Bye - Author, The Mechatronist column, Digital Machinist magazine
                    ~Practitioner of the Electromechanical Arts~

Comment

Originally posted by hojpoj
                      I put down the seat AND the lid.

Because if *I* have to operate the seat, then *EVERYONE* has to operate the seat.
                      Now there is a good idea. :-)
                      What the "Gander" must put up with so to must the "Goose". :-)
                      ...lew...

Comment

I would hate to mess up a good seatup vs. seatdown argument (I'm on the "check the seat before you sit" team - you never hear about men falling in, or women pissing on the lid if you shut that too) - but I suspect that the main function of the damped lid may be for other reasons, one of which is that standard toilet seats actually do pose a rather nasty hazard to young boys whose height puts their delicate parts too near to the edge of the bowl. an open front helps, but damping seems a good idea just to prevent accidental slamming.

Comment

Originally posted by bruto
                          I would hate to mess up a good seatup vs. seatdown argument (I'm on the "check the seat before you sit" team - you never hear about men falling in, or women pissing on the lid if you shut that too)
                          I have - my female friend and I shared an apartment in college. One day she came home and needed to relieve herself in the worst kind of way. However, she neglected to check before she sat. Fortunately she only got partway through before she realized her error.

Needless to say, she checked after that

Comment

Originally posted by bruto
                            I would hate to mess up a good seatup vs. seatdown argument (I'm on the "check the seat before you sit" team - you never hear about men falling in, or women pissing on the lid if you shut that too) - but I suspect that the main function of the damped lid may be for other reasons, one of which is that standard toilet seats actually do pose a rather nasty hazard to young boys whose height puts their delicate parts too near to the edge of the bowl. an open front helps, but damping seems a good idea just to prevent accidental slamming.
                            Vermont too? We have a large population of young men here in New York walking around with one eyed snakes that look like the East Indian Flat Headed Cobra. It's damn near criminal.
                            - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
                            Thank you to our families of soldiers, many of whom have given so much more then the rest of us for the Freedom we enjoy.

It is true, there is nothing free about freedom, don't be so quick to give it away.

Comment

I believe that the Beatles wrote a song about this....something about Norwegian Wood.....

Comment

Working...
                              X