OT redirecting internet searches

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT redirecting internet searches

Suddenly it's gotten bad- I can hardly click on a link to go anywhere without being redirected to some shopping site. This started when I was searching for technical info on kitchenaid appliances. There must be something on my computer now that does this. AVG doesn't find any problems. I'm running xp pro and using Mozilla Firefox if that makes any difference. Is there something I can do to get rid of this annoyance?
    I seldom do anything within the scope of logical reason and calculated cost/benefit, etc- I'm following my passion-

Turn off javascript and see what that does..

Many sites will not work right, but it does stop a lot of the BS...

Tools , options, content, disable java and javascript...

Also try SPYBOT SEARCH AND DESTROY http://www.safer-networking.org/en/index.html
    Last edited by Bguns; 12-22-2009, 05:03 AM.

Comment

Looks like you have one of those redirect viruses. You probably picked it up via outdated adobe flash, reader, javascript, java, etc.

If possible use another computer to fetch antivirus programs like spybot search and destroy, malwarebytes, etc etc.

Comment

Turned off Java, set Firefox to notify when a redirect is active, now all I get is a blank page stating that firefox has blocked a redirect. I have to go back, click on the site again, then it will go there. What am I looking for to stop the redirect thing in the first place? Something has obviously gotten into the computer, but I don't know what to look for.
        I seldom do anything within the scope of logical reason and calculated cost/benefit, etc- I'm following my passion-

Comment

Tons of things..

http://www.google.com/#hl=en&source=...aec8f715611eed

Looks like Malwarebytes, downloaded onto a memory stick, and installed from that is a start...

And from Mozilla itself:
          http://support.mozilla.com/en-US/kb/...fox%20redirect
          Last edited by Bguns; 12-22-2009, 05:18 AM.

Comment

Thanks, guys. I think it probably was the adobe flash thing. I don't recall what video I was trying to watch, but I almost never click on that when it wants to install. This time I did, and it did nothing- as far as I could tell at the moment anyway. Too late tonite to check into Malwarebytes, etc, but I'll do that tomorrow. Thanks again.

Comment

Download Spybot and then C-Cleaner. It keeps my system clean. (get them from CNET.com to make sure you have clean copies)
              - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
              Thank you to our families of soldiers, many of whom have given so much more then the rest of us for the Freedom we enjoy.

It is true, there is nothing free about freedom, don't be so quick to give it away.

Comment

This redirection hit me on my Mac. I visit the NewScientist.com site from time to time to see what the liberal biased spewage of the day is there, and I was being redirected to a Chinese site. Not just one site, but seemingly random sites that all present a page called "go.php".

I cured it by putting "http:\/\/.*\.cn\/go.php" in my ACL list on my caching proxy. It appears that the problem was rogue content on the site's advert content. It was not just my Mac that was affected - I also have Linux and Windows running in virtual machines on this Mac and they were both affected by that same page.

While I was mucking around in the proxy configs I grep'd the proxy log file to find all sites that it has cached that have "adserver" in the name, and added all those to the ACL too. There were 21 unique servers that had cached thousands of adverts. It is amazing how fast the web is when you're not downloading all that garbage. I'm going to repeat that using other common advertising terms until I've weeded most of them out.

Comment

Originally posted by dp
                  This redirection hit me on my Mac. I visit the NewScientist.com site from time to time to see what the liberal biased spewage of the day is there, and I was being redirected to a Chinese site. Not just one site, but seemingly random sites that all present a page called "go.php".

I cured it by putting "http:\/\/.*\.cn\/go.php" in my ACL list on my caching proxy. It appears that the problem was rogue content on the site's advert content. It was not just my Mac that was affected - I also have Linux and Windows running in virtual machines on this Mac and they were both affected by that same page.

While I was mucking around in the proxy configs I grep'd the proxy log file to find all sites that it has cached that have "adserver" in the name, and added all those to the ACL too. There were 21 unique servers that had cached thousands of adverts. It is amazing how fast the web is when you're not downloading all that garbage. I'm going to repeat that using other common advertising terms until I've weeded most of them out.

I'm astonished that a MAC user would ever admit in public to having had his MAC affected in any way by rogue content. This is an absolute first.

Comment

Don't blame javascript or pop-up windows. Many legit sites use javascript and pop-up windows for useful purposes.

I'm running Firefox with javascript, java, and pop-up windows enabled and nothing is hijacking my computer. Of course, my computer is running Linux .................

Welcome to our weekly "Windoze is screwing with me" thread.

DP, I added the New Scientist site to my bookmarks. It looks like a great site and BTW, it didn't hijack my computer.

Comment

Originally posted by gnm109
                      I'm astonished that a MAC user would ever admit in public to having had his MAC affected in any way by rogue content. This is an absolute first.

!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by dp
                        I visit the NewScientist.com site from time to time to see what the liberal biased spewage of the day is there . . .
                        From a casual look at the site, I must be missing the special 4D glasses needed to see that all that liberal biased spewage. But, maybe it's the articles on genome sequencing, 30,000 year old microbes, climate change, pulsed light, and potential pitfalls of crowsourcing?

Comment

I'm floored as well by this admission.

Originally posted by lakeside53
                          !!!!
                          -Dan S.
                          dans-hobbies.com

Comment

Originally posted by MTNGUN
                            Don't blame javascript or pop-up windows. Many legit sites use javascript and pop-up windows for useful purposes.

I'm running Firefox with javascript, java, and pop-up windows enabled and nothing is hijacking my computer. Of course, my computer is running Linux .................

Welcome to our weekly "Windoze is screwing with me" thread.

DP, I added the New Scientist site to my bookmarks. It looks like a great site and BTW, it didn't hijack my computer.
                            Yep - it's fixed today. It quit yanking mine, too.

A better site is http://ClimateAudit.org/ - at least they can do the math
                            Last edited by dp; 12-22-2009, 03:04 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by gnm109

It wasn't anything on the Mac that was doing it - it was rogue code on the server that was doing it. All browsers are susceptible to (actually, honor is more correct) redirect requests. That's why my Mac, Windows, and Linux all redirected to the .cn site. It is an exploit of the go.php code. Google it.

Comment

Working...
                              X