How to mount a vacuum cleaner nozzle?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to mount a vacuum cleaner nozzle?

I have been mulling this question over in my mind. Thinking about trying to catch the chips on both the lathe and the mill. Has anyone done this? The mill seems a little more straight forward as the cutter is fixed and the material moves. Some time back there was a reference to a cheaper Noga type camera mount. I have not been able to find that reference. That would appear to be one way to readily position the holder for the mill.

A rear mount tool post attachment for the lathe seems to have some merit.

Has anyone done anything like this?
    Byron Boucher
    Burnet, TX

That was probably me. I have three of those Bogen (Manfrotto) Magic Arms, and I use them all over the shop now.

Here's one holding my "sky cam" over the lathe:

I have it mounted on the wall with a jointed extension arm so it can reach anywhere over the lathe.

Here's another holding the vac attachment at the mill:

I just made up a bunch of aluminum dovetail plates to fit the quick release holder so I can handle a variety of different things from air blow nozzles to propane torches. The Magic Arm makes a great third hand at the bench.
    Last edited by Frank Ford; 12-22-2009, 12:29 PM.
    Cheers,

Frank Ford
    HomeShopTech

Comment

Hmm, Iv made a similar but larger scale arm outta bits of tubing and square channel, long before I got my mill for holding peices in precise arbitary positions for welding... i'll take some pics if anyone is intrested
      Play Brutal Nature, Black Moons free to play highly realistic voxel sandbox game.

Comment

coat hanger.....stainless tig rod if trying to impress.BW

Comment

For what its worth here is what I did using 1" PVC pipe and 3/4" Loc-line. I think Frank's setup is better, though. Magic arms definitely going on the want list. Thank you Frank. Regards, Earl

If I did the photos right, that is.

Comment

Would there be any problems with static discharges when sucking up chips?

I am thinking of machining plastic on a cnc mill.
            "...do you not think you have enough machines?"

Comment

Probably with just about anything dry. I have been shocked many times over the years from static from my shop vac and can always see dust on the outside of the hose standing up as a result of the charge. Possibly adding a ground strap with a current limiting resistor or a static drag chain on the underside might help cut down on static buildup.

Originally posted by Davidhcnc
              Would there be any problems with static discharges when sucking up chips?

I am thinking of machining plastic on a cnc mill.
              "Work hard. Tell everyone everything you know. Close a deal with a handshake. Have fun!"

-- Harold "Doc" Edgerton

Comment

Working...
              X