question on bandsaw downfeed oil..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• question on bandsaw downfeed oil..

What oil should used in the downfeed control cylinder? Is ATF Ok, or should it be hydraulic oil?
    Thanks,
    Jim

Maybe I'm just weird, but I use ATF for all things hydraulic -- power steering, jacks, my snow plow pump, etc..

Seriously, it's not going to matter unless a particular viscosity is required which seems unlikely for a downfeed cylinder which I presume will have a valve to adjust downfeed speed.

Comment

That's what I was thinking, but not being a machinist, and never having owned a metal-cutting bandsaw before, I didn't want to foul something up. I'll try the ATF. Oh yeah....this saw has a leather cup washer in the cylinder...will that be bothered by the ATF?
      Thanks,
      Jim

Comment

any oil will do for that purpose.
        Every Mans Work Is A Portrait of Him Self
        http://sites.google.com/site/machinistsite/TWO-BUDDIES
        http://s178.photobucket.com/user/lan...?sort=3&page=1

Comment

Yup,pretty much anything,if it's cold where you are thinner might be better though.
          I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

Hmm, my downfeed makes annoying 'bubble' noises through the valve, Should I change my oil to something less.. bubbley?
            Play Brutal Nature, Black Moons free to play highly realistic voxel sandbox game.

Comment

We recommend 22 weight hydraulic oil for gravity feed hydraulic cylinders. The reason for it is anything heavier tends not to flow smoothly under some conditions through the needle valve. I would think this would be worse in some home shops that are not kept warm in the winter. With that said I am thinking about trying power steering fluid to compare it to.

Comment

Originally posted by Black_Moons
                Hmm, my downfeed makes annoying 'bubble' noises through the valve, Should I change my oil to something less.. bubbley?
                The manual I have, though it's for a slightly larger saw, says to bleed the air from the system to avoid erratic, or bouncy, downfeed. Maybe you've got some air in there.
                Jim

Comment

Originally posted by DougA
                  We recommend 22 weight hydraulic oil for gravity feed hydraulic cylinders. The reason for it is anything heavier tends not to flow smoothly under some conditions through the needle valve. I would think this would be worse in some home shops that are not kept warm in the winter. With that said I am thinking about trying power steering fluid to compare it to.
                  Thanks, Doug. I can't imagine that tranny fluid would be much heavier than 22 weight?
                  Jim

Comment

the bubbles seem to be present throughout the downfeed, but its not erratic or bouncy, its like they are micro bubbles and I can hear em pop as they go through the valve. sorta like cavitation problems.
                    Play Brutal Nature, Black Moons free to play highly realistic voxel sandbox game.

Comment

Actually, viscosity DOES matter..... "ANY" oil may not work

The adjustment may be very sensitive, all in the 1st 1/4 turn, if you use too thin an oil

Keep eye on ball.
                      Hashim Khan

Comment

Working...
                      X